In Crisis Now?
If you have immediate concerns about your own safety or the safety of others, please use the contacts below to access emergency support:
- Your local General Practitioner (GP), or out-of-hours GP. Telephone your GP surgery and you will be redirected.
- NHS 111 Wales.
- Attend the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at Bronglais Hospital, if you are in Aberystwyth.
- Adferiad Ceredigion Sanctuary Service. Tel: 01970 629 897.
- Papyrus helpline. Tel: 0800 068 41 41 or 078600 39967. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Samaritans helpline. Tel: 116 123 or 0300 123 3011 for the Welsh Language Line. Email: email@example.com.
- New Pathways Sexual Assault Referral Centres. Tel: 01685 379310 or 074234 37020 for outside of office hours. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- West Wales Domestic Abuse Service. Tel: 01970 625585.
- Live Fear Free. Tel: 0808 80 10 800
Aberystwyth Universities 24/7 Site Security also advises that, if there is an emergency, you should call 999. If the emergency services send a response unit out, you should also inform Site Security either on 01970 622649 or 078895 96220 to let them know what is happening.
Once emergency support has been accessed and the immediate danger has passed, you can contact the Student Services team who will be able to help you manage any impacts that the situation has had on your life here at Aberystwyth University.
If a Mental Health Crisis is being experienced and there are safety concerns, we recommend seeking help as quickly as possible. Feeling panicked or indecisive? Our flowcharts will help you determine what course of action to take in this crisis.
For a full list of New Pathways Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) in Mid, West and South Wales, visit the Contact Us - New Pathways webpage.
SARCs are available 24/7 and are available in all regions of Wales. If you decide to go to the police, they will contact the nearest SARC to organise for you to come to the building. However, if you do not want to go to the police, you can refer yourself to your nearest SARC.
During office hours, 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Thursday, and 9.00am to 4.30pm on Fridays, you call 01685 379310, or call one of the local offices. Outside of office hours, you can call the out-of-hours support on 07423437020.
Consider reporting the incident to the university
If you wish to report the incident to the university, you can do so either anonymously or by providing your contact details via our online reporting platform Report and Support.
If you are comfortable with providing more details about the incident and your contact details, you will receive a follow-up and will be guided to access further support from our specialist-trained sexual violence liaison officers, who can:
- Talk through Aberystwyth University procedures
- Inform you on how to make a complaint
- Let you know what support is available.
If you are experiencing domestic abuse and need urgent support, you can contact West Wales Domestic Abuse Service emergency helpline. They will be able to offer advice on emergency options available to you.
You may also wish to report to the university via Report and Support and an adviser will contact you to discuss support options available to you.
Confidential advice, information, or support around domestic abuse or sexual violence can be accessed through the Live Fear Free helpline which is available 24/7.