Pre-sessional English Courses
The aim of the Pre-sessional English Courses is to give students who already hold a degree offer at Aberystwyth University the English language and academic skills they need to succeed.
There are four pre-sessional course durations: 42 weeks, 30 weeks, 12 weeks and 6 weeks. Start dates can be found here: Dates and Fees.
The courses focus on:
- developing your academic skills
- improving your use of academic English through lessons on the four language skills: writing, reading, listening and speaking
By the end of your course you will have:
- learned to research and write academic essays and reports
- use sources to support your ideas
- use an academic style
Face-to-face courses involve a maximum of 20 hours of classroom-based study and tutorials a week.
Pre-sessional 12 week and 6 week online courses involve 20 hours of online-based study and tutorials a week.
Who is the course for?
- Students who have a conditional offer to study at Aberystwyth University, but need to improve their language level in order to meet the conditions of their offer
- Students who have an unconditional offer to study at Aberystwyth University who want to adjust to life in Aberystwyth, practise their English and develop their study skills, so that they can start their degree with confidence
|Qualifications||You must have met the academic entry requirements of your chosen degree and hold an offer for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Aberystwyth University.|
|Age||You must be at least 17 years old before the course start date.|
|English test||If you need a Student Visa for the course, you will require an IELTS for UKVI test. The score you need depends on your future degree. See below for more information.|
|Your IELTS score now||For entry into degrees requiring:|
|IELTS 6.0||IELTS 6.5||IELTS 7.0|
|4.0 (with no score below 4.0)||42-week Pre-sessional Plus|
|4.5 (with no score below 4.5)||30-week Pre-sessional Plus||42-week Pre-sessional Plus|
|5.0 (with no score below 4.5)||12-week Pre-Sessional Course||30-week Pre-sessional Plus||42-week Pre-Sessional Plus|
|5.5 (with no score below 5.0)||6-week Pre-Sessional Course||12-week Pre-Sessional Course||30-week Pre-sessional Plus|
|6.0 (with no score below 5.5)||Optional 6-week Pre-Sessional Course||6-week Pre-Sessional Course||12-week Pre-Sessional Course|
|6.5 (with no score below 5.5)||Optional 6-week Pre-Sessional Course||Optional 6-week Pre-Sessional Course||6-week Pre-Sessional Course|
|7.0 (with no score below 5.5)||Optional 6-week Pre-Sessional Course||Optional 6-week Pre-Sessional Course||Optional 6-week Pre-Sessional Course|