Student Health

Information about the University’s arrangements for Covid 19

Registering with a GP (family doctor)

Students living in Aberystwyth are required to register with a local GP (family doctor) practice of their choice within the first week of arrival at University.  This is vitally important to ensure continuity of care, especially if you are in receipt of any prescription medicine or other treatment.

Each GP practice has a website which explains about the services they offer and how you can register as a patient.  Information about GP practices in the local area.  

UK students should bring their National Health Medical Cards with them. Students who have an NHS number (i.e. UK students or non UK students who have previously registered with a GP) will be required to provide their NHS number in order to register with a GP.

Returning students should notify their GP of any new address

Accessing your GP

The three town practices offer the e-Consult facility. eConsult enables NHS based GP practices to offer online consultations to their patients. This allows patients to submit their symptoms or requests to their own GP electronically and offers around the clock NHS self-help information, signposting to services, and a symptom checker.

If you feel you need to see a GP, due to the current situation the town practices have taken the difficult decision to suspend all routine appointments and are asking all patients to pre-book appointments if required. Patients are asked to ring the practice in the first instance and will be signposted to the most appropriate treatment.

The practices will still be offering clinical need appointments and telephone triage. Patients will be asked outside when they arrive for their appointment and not in the practice waiting room. Patients will be asked to wear a mask when entering the building to see a clinician and the clinician will also be wearing a mask during your appointment.

EEA Nationals

EEA nationals are eligible to access free NHS services. You should however obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your home country before coming to the UK to show you are eligible for free health treatment. Visit the European Commission’s website for more information on how to apply for an EHIC card.  WARNING – The EHIC card is free of charge, please take care to only use an official website to avoid the risk of using a website that will charge you a fee

Non-EEA nationals

Non-EEA nationals who are coming to study for six months or more will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their visa application process. If you have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge then you will qualify for free NHS treatment on the same basis as anyone who is ordinarily resident in the UK.

Non-EEA nationals who are coming to study for less than six months and have not paid an Immigration Health Surcharge should take out private medical insurance for the duration of their visit to the UK.

Family members of students who are not travelling to the UK on a dependant type visa will also need to take private medical insurance for the duration of their visit to the UK, as they may not be eligible for free NHS treatment.

Recommended immunisations

Over recent years there has been an increase in the number of cases of certain contagious diseases among students. To protect yourself and others Public Health Wales recommends that you are up to date with the following routine vaccinations, preferably before arrival: meningitis (MenACWY), MMR (measles, mumps and rubella), diphtheria, polio, tetanus, Human Papillomavirus vaccine (HPV).

Students from countries with a high incidence of TB should be vaccinated against TB.  Find out which countries have a high rate of TB.

Regular medication

If you have a chronic health condition please ensure you bring a month’s supply of up to date medication with you and consider how you will store your medication and dispose of equipment (such as epi pens) safely. Advice is available from our Accessibility Service 01970 621761/01970 622087