Prof Bryn Hubbard
BA Geography (University of Oxford) PhD (University of Cambridge)
Department of Geography and Earth Sciences
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ORCID: 0000-0002-3565-3875
- Office: J9, Llandinam Building
- Phone: +44 (0) 1970 622783
- Personal Website: http://users.aber.ac.uk/byh/
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=QR9bqvkAAAAJ
- Research Portal Profile
2022- Associate Dean for Research, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences
2020-2022 Director of Research, Department of Geography & Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2011- Professor, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2009-2022 Director of the Centre for Glaciology, Department of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2013-16 Director of Research, Institute of Geography, History, Politics and Psychology, Aberystwyth University.
2011-16 Director of Research, Department of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2005-2011 Reader in Glaciology. Centre for Glaciology, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, UW Aberystwyth.
2001-2004 Senior Lecturer in Glaciology. Centre for Glaciology, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, UW Aberystwyth.
1994-2000 Lecturer in Glaciology. Centre for Glaciology, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, UW Aberystwyth.
1992-1994 Post-doctoral Research Associate. Department of Geography, University of Cambridge. ('Water storage, drainage evolution and water quality in Alpine glacial environments').
1988-1992 Ph.D. Glaciology. Fitzwilliam College and Department of Geography, University of Cambridge ('Basal ice facies and their formation in the western Alps').
1983-1986 B.A. Geography (First Class). Christ Church and School of Geography, University of Oxford.
Community activities include:
2022- , Chair: Publications Committee of International Glaciological Society
2018-21, UK Correspondent: International Association of Cryospheric Sciences.
2016-, Core Member: Natural Environment Research Council's Peer Review College.
2000-20, UK Correspondent: International Glaciological Society.
2016-19, Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface.
2013-16, Editor of Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface.
2010-13, Associate Editor of Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface.
Current research interests (summarized here: https://users.aber.ac.uk/byh/) include:
- Using pressurized hot-water to drill boreholes into glaciers to investigate ice properties and englacial and basal processes
- Links between subglacial drainage and ice motion via borehole access.
- Ice shelf structure and ice characteristics, including ice coring and hot-water drilling.
- The physical character of glacier ice and basal ice.
- Optical televiewing (OPTV) of boreholes in glaciers, ice sheets and ice shelves.
- Technique development: Tsanfleuron Glacier, Switzerland & King Baudouin Ice Shelf, Antarctica
- Structural glaciology and sediment transfer: Midre Lovénbreen, Svalbard, Khumbu Glacier, Nepal, & Larsen C Ice Shelf, Antarctica
- Ice shelf structure: Roi Baudouin Ice Shelf & Larsen C Ice Shelf, Antarctica.
- Ice sheet structure: NEEM deep borehole, Greenland.
- Ice stream processes: Store Glacier, Greenland.
- Basal ice physical properties and processes of formation and deformation.
- The structure and dynamics of glacial lakes and drainage systems.
- The physical character of subglacial sediment.
- The occurrence and character of glacier-like forms on Mars.
Research experience includes leading or participating in ~100 field campaigns over 35 years at glaciers in Antarctica, Greenland, Svalbard, the European Alps, Peru, Nepal, the Canadian Rockies, Norway, and the Canadian Arctic.