Latest updates on IT and Library services
The Hugh Owen Library and IT and Library services detailed below remain open and available.
- This page contains advice and guidance for University staff and students regarding the coronavirus outbreak.
Information Services opening hours and loans over the Christmas vacation 2020
Information Services wishes everyone an enjoyable break
- IS (including IS Service Desk virtual and physical service and click and collect) will close for the holidays at 17:15 on Friday 18th December 2020, and will open again at 08:30 on Monday 4th January 2021.
- The Iris de Freitas study room in the Hugh Owen Library remains open for study and computer desk bookings as well as access to the printer/copier 08:30-17:15 between Saturday 19th Dec 2020-Sunday 3rd January 2021 (apart from Friday 25th – Monday 28th December 2020 and Friday 1st January 2021 when it is closed).
- Iris de Freitas study and PC space bookings at: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/library-services/hughowen/iris-de-freitas-room/
- Please check the Information Services opening hours webpages: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/opening-hours/
- Any new library loans or renewals are now due on or after 10th January 2021. Books on loan will not be recalled by other users during the vacation.
- You can check when your loans are due by checking: Where can I see when my library loans are due back?
- Library books can be returned at any time, please see https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/2958
- Iris de Freitas is providing access to the only computers and printer available to students and staff over the holiday period.
- Please note that all other AU computer rooms on campus and in town will close at 17:15 on Friday 18th December until Monday 4th January 2021: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/computers/rooms/
- The IT and Library Service Desk is available via online chat, MS Teams, telephone and email: 08:30-19:30 Monday to Friday and 8:30-17:30 Saturday and Sunday.
- Please note that the IS and Library Service Desk will close for the holidays at 17:15 on Friday 18th December 2020, and will open again at 08:30 on Monday 4th January 2021.
- Support looking for library resources and making the most of our online collections in your specific subject, please contact your subject librarian. Either email email@example.com or book an appointment via Microsoft Teams or Skype at https://libcal.aber.ac.uk
- Online reading lists
- LibGuides: find recommended resources for your subject as well as who to ask for help if you get stuck.
Library Study Spaces
- The Iris de Freitas Room is now providing pre-booked study spaces to Aberystwyth University students and staff. Please see our Iris de Freitas study space booking webpage for more information on services available and how to book a study space
- Levels E and F of the Hugh Owen Library are now open and offering a range of study spaces that need to be booked in advance. Please see our webpage for further details https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/library-services/hughowen/e-f-study-spaces/
- For students and staff in Aberystwyth: please see "How can I return my library loans?"
- For students and staff unable to return to Aberystwyth, please contact us to arrange to return your books
- Borrowing library books and IT equipment via Click and Collect by pre-booked timeslot only. This service is available 7 days a week between 10:00-17:00 from 1st September 2020.
- Consultation of items not available for loan - by prior arrangement. Please contact us
- Click and Collect will close for the holidays at 17:15 on Friday 18th December 2020, and will open again at 08:30 on Monday 4th January 2021.
- In response to COVID-19 and whilst access to materials in the library is limited, a temporary chapter digitisation service has been introduced to support your studies.
- Printing, photocopying and scanning is available at the Hugh Owen Library anytime during advertised opening hours
- If it isn’t possible to get your More Books request as an e-book, we can now try to order it in print, although please bear in mind that with the present circumstances it may take several weeks before the book is available for collection.
- For the last six months our Document Supply service has only been able to obtain items electronically. However, we are now able to once again obtain print material.
- If you need a book, article or chapter that we don’t have in Aberystwyth, you can request it using the “Document Supply” button in Primo – the library catalogue.
- You will be emailed when your item is ready with information on how to book a timed slot for you to collect your requested items.
- A useful guide to IT and Library services and tools for studying including Blackboard, student record, ap Aber and printing/photocopying/scanning.
- As well as support on using your reading lists, finding and accessing online resources and borrowing books from the library.
- Where can I collect my Aber Card
Keep up to date
By following our Information Services’ social media accounts and news webpage:
- IS News: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/news/
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com?aberuni_is/
- Twitter: @aberuni_is
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/isaberuni/
Since closing the Library buildings in March 2020, we’ve continued to provide online access to resources and virtual support from the IS Service Desk and your subject librarians. Since summer 2020 we have continued to develop services from the Hugh Owen Library to support your learning and teaching and continue to plan for more as regulations permit.