From 02 Auguist 2022 the portal address for VPN has changed to gp-vpn.aber.ac.uk
Instructions for updating this can be found on our FAQs
Find out more
Virtual Private Networking
Virtual Private Networking (VPN) creates a secure connection between your own computer and the University network.
This gives you access to sites, systems and facilities which are limited to users who are on the University network.
Access to E-resources
- You do not need to install GlobalProtect VPN to access e-resources from off-campus; most of these can be accessed by signing into Primo and following the off-campus advice provided in the search results.
Setting up VPN
- In using VPN you are bound by the Information Services Regulations and Guidelines and before setting it up you should read our VPN policy
- To use VPN you will need a computer with an internet connection and access to the Internet
- Aberystwyth University uses GlobalProtect VPN and this service requires 2-step Verification whenever you connect
- Instructions for setting up GlobalProtect VPN vary according to your operating system:
Whenever you wish to access Aberystwyth University resources you should:
- connect to the Internet using your usual provider
- open GlobalProtect VPN
- Click Connect
If you are connecting to VPN using an AU managed computer we recommend you connect to VPN BEFORE logging in. Filestore, shared drives and printers will then be mapped automatically at login.