Postgraduate Taught (PGT) Applicants – 1 reference required
Applicants for PGT courses must submit at least one reference. In most cases these will be academic references but in some cases it will be a work based/professional reference (e.g. for Masters courses with iMLA or for experienced non-graduates).
Offers may be made for PGT courses prior to the receipt of any references. In this case receipt of a satisfactory reference will be a condition of the offer.
Postgraduate Research (PGR) Applicants (e.g. MPhil, PhD and LLM by Research) – 2 references required
All applicants for PGR must submit two academic references with their application.
Reference for Non- Graduates
A work based reference may be submitted from your current or previous employer.
PGCE applicants who have graduated within the last 5 years must submit an academic reference which comments on their degree performance, as part of their application via UCAS. A second referee may also be named.
Please ensure all references meet the following criteria, each reference should:
- Be written on letterhead paper. Emailed references are acceptable providing they are sent directly from the referee’s official work email. We do not accept references from yahoo, gmail or hotmail accounts.
- Be signed and dated by the referee.
- Contain the contact details and position of the referee.
- State the name, address and the course that the applicant has applied for.
- State how long the referee has known the applicant and in what capacity.
- Address the issue of the applicant suitability for the course they have applied for.
The University provides downloadable reference forms on the applying offline page. Applicants should pass these forms on to their chosen referees for them to complete and return to the University.
Please note that, due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, the Postgraduate Admissions Office team continue to work from home. Please therefore submit documentation to us by email rather than by post.
Please note that the applicant will not be admitted without satisfactory references. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the required reference/s are forwarded to the postgraduate admissions office. We do not contact referees request references.