Protecting your Student visa

Your Student visa, or immigration permission as it is sometimes known as, will be subject to certain conditions. It is very important that you understand these conditions. A breach of conditions can have serious consequences for both your current Student permission and any future immigration applications you may make.

Study conditions

In most cases you will need to study the course for which your CAS was issued for.  If you are considering a change to your studies, see examples below, please contact the International Student Advisor for advice on implications to your Student visa.

  • withdrawing from course
  • deferral of studies
  • change of degree scheme
  • adding a study abroad or period of work placement
  • repeating a year or resit modules 

Work conditions

If you are studying at below degree level, you will be allowed to work 10 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacation periods. 

If you are studying at degree level and above, you will be allowed to work 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacation periods.

Students’ vacation periods differ depending on the course that you are studying.  It is important that you are aware of your individual dates of term.

Work rights are a condition of your immigration permission, it is therefore very important that you are clear about what you may and may not do. You must always follow any restrictions and ensure that your work does not affect the progress on your course.

Good practice

  • Prepare to extend your visa.  To avoid becoming an 'overstayer' in the UK, make sure  you know when your immigration permission will end.  If you are planning to extend your stay in the UK, we advise that you start preparing a visa extension four months before your current visa expires. You will need this time to seek immigration advice from the International Student Adviser, check what requirements you need to meet, and what documents you will need to submit.
  • Report changes to Home Office. You must report changes in your circumstances to the Home Office, for example a change of address or nationality, to ensure that your immigration record is always up to date. The way that you report a change in your circumstances will differ depending on the type of change that you are reporting.