Whether as an undergraduate or postgraduate, all international students are eligible* for our International Accommodation Award.
What is it?
The International Accommodation Award means the cost of your university-managed housing is included in your tuition fees.
Depending on which accommodation you choose, this will either be included in your tuition fee or discounted by £2,000.
Please note that fee-inclusive accommodation spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. If there are no fee-inclusive spaces left, you will be sent an offer for a discounted rate in your other hall of choice.
You will need to re-apply for your accommodation each year by the deadline, and accommodation will again be allocated on a first come first served basis.
The University has several different accommodation options to choose from.
How it works
When you make an application to study at Aberystwyth University, you will be given access to the Accommodation Portal, which opens in April.
You will be required to choose the accommodation options available to you by room type and location in order of priority. The International Accommodation Award offers inclusive accommodation in Cwrt Mawr or a £2,000 discount on the cost of accommodation in our other halls of residence. If Cwrt Mawr is where you want to live, you should select this as your first or second choice. There are a limited number of spaces in Cwrt Mawr. If there are no longer any spaces available, you will be offered discounted accommodation according to your hall preferences. If you wish to receive the £2,000 discount, please prioritise these accommodation options in order of preference. Rooms will be allocated on a ‘first come first served’ basis in accordance with our priorities policy
If you initially move into Cwrt Mawr, but later decide to move to a different university-managed building, then the £2,000 discount will be applied to the cost of the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate, minus any time lived in Cwrt Mawr). Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
All MBA students will be required to move to alternative accommodation during the summer vacation.
*Terms and conditions
- The International Accommodation Award is only available for students paying international tuition fees.
- Undergraduate Bachelors students will be able to live in their allocated room for 39 or 40 weeks per year. If staying in Aberystwyth between academic years, alternative accommodation on campus, or in private accommodation elsewhere, is necessary over the summer months between June and September when the next term begins.
- Postgraduate Masters students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks. If they wish to stay in Aberystwyth for longer, they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- Eligible Postgraduate PhD students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks per year. There will be two weeks in September where they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- In order to choose and secure a room through the Accommodation Portal, students must have accepted their offer of study and must pay their tuition fee deposit to confirm they wish to study at the University. Students must familiarise themselves with the University’s deposit policy before making a payment. This deposit makes up part of the tuition fees.
- In the unlikely case that a student with a conditional offer to study at the University does not ultimately meet the conditions stated in their offer letter or does not meet the conditions to acquire a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for their visa, the deposit will be refunded in full. However, concessions cannot be made for fluctuations in the exchange rate. Students should therefore feel confident that Aberystwyth is their preferred choice for study and that they will achieve the academic grades required and be able to provide the correct documentation and English language ability to secure a visa before they pay their deposit.
- Deposits will not be refunded if the student meets all the University’s conditions, but changes their mind about studying at Aberystwyth University.
- If students are not required to pay a tuition fee deposit to the University (because they will be funded by an external organisation), they will still be able to access the Accommodation Portal.
- There is no housing on campus for students with dependants (family members). All rooms on campus are single occupancy only. Therefore, students planning to travel with dependants will need to find private accommodation in Aberystwyth town and will not be eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Find out more about private accommodation available.
- Postgraduate PhD students will only be eligible for the International Accommodation Award if they meet all the conditions below:
- The student is self-funding at least 50% of their tuition fees. I.e. they are not receipt of another scholarship covering more than 50% of their tuition fees.
- The student will be paying for their own living costs. I.e. they are not receiving any stipend for their living expenses.
- The student is not bringing any family or dependants with them.
- If a postgraduate PhD student meets all the conditions above, they must email email@example.com with their name, applicant ID number, and confirmation that they meet the conditions above. The accommodation team will check that the student is eligible and, if so, will give them access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students whose degree programmes last more than one year must reapply for accommodation on an annual basis. Again, the first-come first-served policy will apply. Returning international students will still be eligible for the International Accommodation Award, but there is no guarantee that they will remain in the same room or building.
- No discounts can be provided for accommodation that is not managed by the University.
- All normal regulations concerning accommodation licenses and application deadlines apply.
- Students on International English Centre (IEC) Pre-sessional, International Foundation and Pre-Masters courses are entitled to free Cwrt Mawr accommodation.
- Students on exchange programmes who do not pay tuition fees do not have access to the International Accommodation Award discounted or free accommodation, but can access on-campus accommodation in the same way as home tuition fee paying students.
- Students on study abroad programmes paying international tuition fees are eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Places are allocated on a first-come first-served basis. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who choose to take up the International Accommodation Award but then decide to move into private accommodation elsewhere must notify the accommodation office and return their key. At this point they will no longer have access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students who initially move into one accommodation building, but later decide to move to a different University-managed building, will have free accommodation or £2,000 discount applied to the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate).
- Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
- Please note that there are many international students who choose to live in Cwrt Mawr. Students who choose this accommodation building, will likely be living with other international students from a mixture of countries all over the globe.
*Students must meet the terms and conditions to be eligible for the offer.