Nuffield Research Placements
Aberystwyth University offers Nuffield Research Placements which are funded by the Nuffield Foundation. They are engaging, hands-on research projects, where students can make a meaningful contribution to the work of a host organization.
They are a fantastic opportunity for students to apply skills and knowledge learned at school and work alongside researchers and industry professionals to:
- Develop subject understanding alongside research and quantitative skills to expand career prospects.
- Learn more about higher education and different career paths.
- Enhance UCAS personal statements and applications to university.
- Apply for a Gold CREST award or the Big Bang Competition.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be over 16 years old and in Year 12 or S5 in Scotland.
- Be in full-time, state-funded education in the UK.
- Have at least 5 GCSEs at Level 6/Grade B or above OR Scottish Nationals at Level B or above, including maths, a science subject, and English (or another humanities subject).
- Be studying one or more A-levels or Scottish Highers (or equivalent) in science, technology, engineering, economics, geography, psychology, computing, statistics, or maths.
- Be available for 2-3 consecutive weeks over July and/or August to collaborate with your Placement Provider. (Dates to be confirmed).
Students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be living, or have lived, in local authority care.
- Come from a family with a combined household income of below £30,000 a year (pre-tax)
- Be entitled to free school meals, either now or at any time in the last six years.
- In receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments at school/college (e.g., EMA, 16-19 Bursary Fund)
- Be the first in your immediate family to participate in higher education (not including any older siblings). This means that neither of your parents/carers has participated in higher education, either in the UK or another country. If your siblings have attended higher education, but your parents/carers have not, you are still eligible.
For more information, please visit the Nuffield Foundation website.