Welcome to the Department of Information Studies (DIS).
The Department has over 50 years’ experience in offering education and training for the information profession, including 30 years’ experience in distance and online learning. We offer a range of courses including:
- Cultural Heritage Studies: Libraries, Archives, and Museums
- Information and Library Studies
- Computer and Information Sciences
- Archives and Records Management
- Digital Preservation
- Digital Information and Media Management
In 2021 the Department is featuring new undergraduate programmes in: Cultural Heritage Studies, Libraries, Archives, and Museums; Computer and Information Sciences; and Information Management. (For an introduction to the Cultural Heritage Studies degree, see the YouTube video V700 Cultural Heritage Studies.)
There is a range of study options including:
- Undergraduate degrees, Postgraduate Master’s, and PhD studies
- Full time and part-time on campus studies
- Distance learning with online course introductions and learning resources delivered via a Virtual Learning Environment - so that you can study for a professional qualification while in the workplace (within 2 years or over 2-5 years)
- Online short courses for Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
All of our postgraduate degrees are professionally accredited by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) and/or the Archives and Records Association UK and Ireland (ARA). This means that you can have confidence in receiving excellent teaching and academic support, and a professionally accredited qualification at the end of your studies.
Staff expertise is complemented through close professional links both locally and nationally. Contributions to teaching, practical work and research projects are made by the National Library of Wales, local record offices, the University’s library services, and national memory organisations such as the British Library, as well as fellow members of the Digital Preservation Coalition.
I look forward to welcoming you to our Department in the future.
Dr Anoush Simon
Head of Department