So you are thinking of undertaking a university degree programme – what an excellent idea and one that will open so many new doors to you for your future career path. Following a degree programme is about immersing yourself as fully as possible into the whole student experience whilst you are at university and giving yourself the chance to be involved in a range of activities that will not so easily be available to you at any other time in the future.
Whilst your academic studies are the priority for you whilst you are at university, you also need to learn how to manage and balance your time effectively to allow yourself the chance to engage with extra-curricular activities that will include:
- social commitments and interests by engaging with clubs and societies
- additional department based activities such as academic subject based societies and ambassador roles for your department
- volunteering opportunities
- part-time jobs and casual work
- placements, internships and more structured work experience opportunities
- positions of responsibility as Academic Representative, committee member and Students’ Union roles
- enterprise and entrepreneurial opportunities
- sporting accomplishments
- academic expertise and high achievements
So go ahead and get involved. Understand the full benefit of being at university, but also research beforehand how your degree programme can support your future plans and help you identify possible career paths. Check out our Subject Specific pages for more information on career ideas related to each of our academic department, but also check out our suggestions for valuable work experience and the clubs and societies on offer here at Aberystwyth University.
We look forward to welcoming you to Aberystwyth!