Skilled worker (formerly Tier 2)
Students on a Student visa are able to switch to a Skilled worker visa in the UK if they meet the following requirements:
- Have valid Student visa that has not expired
- Have completed the course you were sponsored to study and the job start date is after your course has finished
- Have studied for a PhD for at least 24 months
- Have a certificate of sponsorship issued by a Home Office approved employer
- Have financial evidence showing that you can support yourself
- have a valid ATAS certificate if your employer tells you that you need one because your job involves researching a sensitive subject at PhD level or higher
You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years after switching to a Skilled worker visa.
If you are unsure whether you can switch from your Student visa to a Skilled worker visa, please contact the International Student Adviser who will be able to provide you with advice.
Further information on applying for a Skilled worker visa is available from GOV.UK pages.