Supporting documents needed to apply for a Visitor visa

You will need to prepare the following documents to obtain a Visitor visa.  We would advise you to bring the documents in your hand luggage in case you are asked for them when you enter the UK: 

  • valid passport
  • acceptance letter from Aberystwyth University
  • If you are coming on a research internship, a letter from your home university confirming:
    • that you will remain registered as a student at your home university whilst you undertake your research internship with us,
    • dates of course at your home university,
    • your course is at degree level or above,
    • the number of ECTS credits that you will receive from undertaking a research internship with us towards your degree at home, OR, confirmation that the research internship is relevant to your course at home.
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 3 to 6 months (you will need evidence that you have £1,023 for every month that you will be spending in the UK, for example, if your course lasts three months, then you should have a minimum of £3,069 available to you)
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • evidence that you have travel insurance which includes cover for any medical expenses
  • under 18s - students under the age of 18 will need to demonstrate that they have received consent from their parent/legal guardian to travel to the UK and study at Aberystwyth University. To meet this requirement the following documents will need to be submitted with your visa application:
    • Consent letter from parent/legal guardian (template available from here)
    • Birth Certificate

Depending on the course that you will be undertaking in Aberystwyth University, you may also need to provide the following:

  • previous study, eg academic certificates, references or transcripts
  • English language qualifications, eg certificates or awards
  • permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)
  • financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies
  • ATAS Certificate (if applicable).