Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid training, bookable through the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Unit: https://stafftraining.aber.ac.uk/sd/list_courses.php
Licensed for Wales and based on international MHFA guidelines this course is delivered remotely by a SWS practitioner. The MHFA (Wales) course will teach staff, how to assist individuals who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing worsening of mental health problems or in a mental health crisis.
Developing mental health problems:
- Anxiety problems
- Eating disorders
- Substance use problems
Mental health crisis
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviours
Staff are encouraged to book onto the course as soon as is possible leaving a minimum of 28 days prior to the commencement of the course date. This 28 days is required as you will need to be registered with Mental Health First Aid Wales which the well-being team will do – this is so that you can receive the training materials.
Once you are signed up you will be sent training modules to complete over two weeks. You will require approximately 3 hours over the two weeks to complete these modules. The course will be 3 hours a day for 2 days. There is an additional module task to complete between the first and second training day which should take up to 2 hours to complete. Once you are a qualified mental health first aider you will be required to attend regular guidance sessions as support for you and also to meet governance measure.
- 28 Days before training: You have signed up and well-being staff will be registering you onto the Mental Health First Aid Wales. They will also register the funding with the University
- 14 Days before Training: Mental Health First Aid Wales will provide you with your module link. You will be required to complete the modules sent within the two-week period prior to the training day. Should you not complete these modules you will not be able to participate in the training day. You will need up to 3 hours to complete these modules.
- Day 1 of training: You will be sent a Microsoft Teams invite to join a 3-hour session with our practitioners.
- Following this session, you will be sent modules to complete prior to the next session. These modules should take you up to 2 hours to complete.
- Day 2 of training: You will be sent a Microsoft Teams invite to join a second 3-hour session. You will need to pass both modules as well as attend both training days to be certified mental health first aiders.
- Following Day 2 and passing the modules you will be a certified mental health first aider.