Dr Sue Lithgow
BA, Dip Lib, PhD
After graduating from Lampeter University in 1986, I joined the library and information profession more by accident than by design, when I took a 'temporary' job as a library assistant with the Isle of Wight Cultural Services Department. I 'temporarily' stayed for three years but in my final year a chance happening led to an additional role as the relief librarian at HM Prison Albany. Much to my surprise this chance happening has since shaped my career. I joined the Department of Information and Library Studies, University of Wales Aberystwyth in 1989 as a postgraduate student. In 1994 I completed a PhD thesis which was based on developing performance indicators for prison libraries in England and Wales. For the next two years, I was the holder of a Department for Education and Employment Postdoctoral Research Fellowship which enabled me to continue my research into prison library provision. Since 1997 I have been working as a Development Officer in the Open Learning Unit at Aberystwyth University.
My hobbies include squash, tennis, swimming cycling, walking and toddler taming " probably in reverse order!
Member of the LA
Associate Member of the Inst. of Inf. Scientists
Member of the Home Office Standing Committee for Prison Libraries
Member of the IFLA Standing Committee for the Section of Libraries Serving Disadvantaged Persons (Chair 1997-99)
Education and Training
Workshops on Disadvantaged Persons (with IFLA)
UWA Open Learning Unit internal consultancies and workshops e.g.
OLU's Extending Distance Learning (EDL) project, where consultancy is offered to other departments within the University.
Staff Development Programme (ILT accredited) - a range of workshops are offered in open, distance and E- learning for current and new staff. We also offer workshops for project staff, such as staff on the Knowledge Exploitation Funded (KEF) collaborative project between the OLU and School of Management and Business Studies developing web-based training materials for local businesses.
Production of Distance Learning material " includes editing and copyright clearance. Student support. Personal tutor. Learning Development Officer for MLIS programme. Plus some teaching and dissertation supervision
Blackboard Dept Admin
- ILM5120 - Information and Society
- ILM1800 - Medieval and Post -Medieval Palaeography and Diplomatic
- ILM8120 - Rare Books and Special Collections
- ILM1620 - Archive Management: Archive Services
- ILM1720 - Study of Records: Creators and Users
- ILM5320 - Information Organisation and Retrieval
- ILM1460 - Dissertation
- ILM1820 - Medieval and Post -Medieval Palaeography and Diplomatic
- ILM1900 - Archives Collection Development and Description
- ILM5220 - Studies in Management
- ILM7420 - Digital Information: Management for Access and Preservation
- ILM8220 - Collection Management
- ILM9020 - Information Systems in Organisations
- ILM0820 - Records and Information Governance
- IL32410 - Management Information Systems
- IL32520 - Management of Organisations
- IL33010 - Business Systems Analysis
- ILM3220 - Digital Information Literacy
- ILM5420 - Information Services: Planning for Delivery
- ILM8620 - Knowledge and Information Architecture
- ILM1920 - Archives Collection Development and Description
- ILM4120 - Post Medieval Palaeography and Diplomatic
Performance measurement and evaluation; quality assurance; research methods; library and information services to prisoners and disadvantaged groups; information needs and information seeking behaviour of prisoners.