What is Lifelong Learning?
Is Lifelong Learning for you?
Lifelong learning is the ongoing, self-motivated pursuit of knowledge for personal or professional development. It is basically the idea that you never stop learning. It means that education and learning aren't limited to formal schooling or a specific time in life but extend throughout an individual's life.
Think of it like this:
- Never-ending journey: It's like being a student of life, always curious and ready to learn, no matter how old you get.
- Self-driven: You learn because you want to, not just because you have to. Maybe you're curious, looking for a career change, or want to learn a new form of art or language!
- Anywhere and everywhere: Lifelong learning isn't restricted to the classroom, it is also from videos, podcasts, books, or just chatting with someone at a coffee shop.
- Stay updated: The world's always changing. By always learning, you keep up with the latest developments and never feel left out.
- Growth: Some people learn for work. Others maybe to speak a new language, understand a different art form, develop an interest or just to know more about the world.
- Not just books: It's not just about hitting the books or getting degrees. It's about understanding cultures, people, and how things work.
- Being your own boss: You decide what you want to learn, making choices that help you grow and make decisions in life.
- Question everything: Lifelong learners aren't afraid to ask "why" or "how." They love finding out new perspectives.
So, in simple words: Lifelong learning is about staying curious, always being ready to pick up something new, and never thinking you've learned it all.
Who can join Lifelong Learning at Aberystwyth University?
We have a range of courses available at our Lifelong Learning Department, suitable for both personal and professional development. Our courses are open to adults of all ages, as well as students at University who may find our degree boosters useful.
Many of our courses are run via distance or blended learning that allows you the flexibility to study when and where you want. Our qualified and experienced tutors provide accessible study resources and are on-hand to offer expert tuition and guidance.