Supporting documents needed to apply for a Student visa - outside of the UK

To apply for your Student visa you will need the following documents:  

1.  Your CAS number (contained in your CAS email from Aberystwyth University)

This is your unique reference number emailed to you by Aberystwyth University. The CAS email will include your personal details, your qualifications, details of your course, Aberystwyth University address and licence number: CMRTYMH23.

To get your CAS email you must have:

  • Passed all your exams and sent the University copies of your qualifications or transcripts.
  • Been accepted for a course at Aberystwyth University.
  • Paid a 'course fee' deposit as noted on your offer letter.
  • Signed a 'financial declaration' confirming that you have the necessary funds to cover the costs of your course. 

The earliest that you will receive your CAS is six months before the start of your course, even if you have met all the conditions of your offer.

2.  Immigration Health Surcharge number

All students applying for a visa for a course of 6 months or more, will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge, the IHS is calculated on the length of your leave (course plus leave before and after your course), at £470 per 12 months, per person. 

To calculate the amount of your IHS, please go to

The IHS is paid as part of your visa application, the IHS reference number will be entered automatically into your visa application after you have paid it.

3.  The transcripts/qualification certificates listed in the CAS email

For your Student visa application you will need to prepare your transcripts/exam certificates/references showing that you have satisfied the entry requirements for your course at Aberystwyth University.  These certificates/transcripts/references will be listed in the CAS email.

4.  Finances – evidence of funds to meet the UKVI maintenance requirements

You need to show that you have a certain amount of money to cover your tuition fees and living costs in order to get a Student visa. See: 

5.  ATAS Certificate (if applicable)

If you are coming to Aberystwyth for a postgraduate research or a taught postgraduate course in certain science, engineering or technology subjects in the areas listed by the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), you will need an ATAS certificate. The ATAS certificate is issued by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and gives you security clearance to study certain subject areas, where the knowledge gained may have application in the development of weapons of mass destruction.

If your course requires an ATAS clearance certificate, it will state this in your CAS email from Aberystwyth University. Check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for a list of courses, which are identified as ATAS applicable:

6.  Tuberculosis (TB) certificate (if applicable)

If you are a resident of a specified country that has been identified by the UKVI to have a high risk of TB and you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months, you must obtain a certificate confirming you are free from infectious TB, before applying for a visa.

The test includes having a chest X-ray at an accredited clinic or hospital run by the International Organisation for Migration. To check whether you need to obtain a TB certificate go to

If your country is not on the UKVI TB countries list but you are from the Indian Subcontinent, Africa or countries that have tuberculosis (TB), we recommend that you have an up-to-date chest X-ray certificate and medical report that is less than 3 months old. If you do not have this information you may have to have a chest X-ray and medical examination before you are allowed to pass through immigration at a UK airport.

7.  Valid passport You will need to send your passport with your student visa application. Check that it is not about to expire and that it has one blank page!

8.  Consent letter if you are under 18 years old. 

Students under the age of 18 will need to demonstrate that they have received consent from their parent/legal guardian to travel to the UK and study at Aberystwyth University.  To meet this requirement the following documents will need to be submitted with your visa application:

Important - Translations

If any of the documents you are submitting are not in English, you must also include a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This includes any references, qualifications, transcripts and bank statements or letters. This translation must include the following:

  • confirmation by the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • the date of the translation
  • the translator’s full name and signature
  • the translator’s contact details
  • the translator’s qualifications

For more details on how to find a translator see: