Applying for a Visitor visa
A student's journey
Covid-19 and travel from a red list country
You will not be able to enter the UK if you are travelling from a 'red list' country and need a visitor visa or permission to enter as a visitor. Arrival to your course may therefore be delayed and we would advise you to consult your course contacts to see how a delay in your arrival may affect registering onto your course.
Find out more
Check whether the Visitor visa is the right visa for you.Check visa
Collect all your 'Supporting documents needed for a Visitor visa'.Supporting Documents
If your country is listed in the Appendix Visitor: Visa National List – you need to apply for your 'Visitor visa' before travelling to the UK, by following the instructions below:
- Complete an on-line application form available from https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/apply.
- Pay the Visitor visa fee, currently £95 for a six month visa, paid in the local currency of the country that you are applying from. If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a long-term Visitor visa that lasts 2 years (£361), 5 years (£655) or 10 years (£822). You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.
- Make an appointment at your nearest visa application centre https://www.gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre. Due to the current Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic some Visa Application Centres may be closed. To find out if your local VAC is open, please contact TLS Contact TLS Contact(Europe, Africa and parts of Middle East), or VFS Global VFS Global(rest of world).
- Attend your appointment, submit all your supporting documents, and provide biometric data.
- You should receive a decision on your Visitor visa within three weeks from the date that you attend your appointment. Do not book flights or accommodation until you have received your visa
If your country is not listed in the Appendix Visitor: Visa National List – you do not need to apply for a visa before travelling, instead you will be allowed to enter the UK as a visitor by following the steps below:
- Bring the Supporting documents needed to apply for a Visitor visa in your hand luggage.
- Use ePassport gates if your nationality allows it.
- Keep a copy of your boarding pass or flight confirmation as you may need this in order to be allowed to register onto your course.
Contact the International Student Adviser if you have any questions or need help with applying for your visa.Email email@example.com