Doctorate Extension Scheme
The Doctorate Extension Scheme gives PhD students who have almost finished their courses an additional 12 months of Tier 4 immigration permission to look for and start work in the UK.
In order for Aberystwyth University to consider issuing a CAS for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, you will need to meet the following requirements:-
- Have a valid Tier 4 (General) visa that has not expired and leads to the award of a PhD qualification.
- Have not been awarded your PhD yet.
- Have successfully defended your viva and have a clear indication of the length of your corrections and the expected PhD award date.
- Completed a Doctorate Extension Scheme CAS Request Form – please note that your supervisors will need to sign off the expected PhD award date.
- Written a 300 to 500 words ‘personal statement’ outlining your career plans and how the Doctorate Extension Scheme will help you to achieve your career goals.
The Doctorate Extension Scheme will be replaced by the Graduate route from 1 July 2021.
If you are considering applying to the Doctorate Extension Scheme, you will need to make an appointment to see the International Student Adviser six months before the latest submission deadline as set by the university. The International Student Adviser will go through the Doctorate Extension Scheme eligibility, supporting documents, and a timetable for the application.