Can International Students study part-time?

Students can study a part-time course which leads to a Master’s level or above qualification under Student Visa regulations. However, the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) imposes a number of restrictions which may mean that it is not a suitable visa route for your course or may not be an appropriate visa for you to hold.  

The Student Visa requirements, including attendance monitoring and reporting duties, and application process for a part-time visa are the same as for full-time students but the visa is more restrictive as you cannot:

  • Undertake any work in the UK (including paid or unpaid work, placements, internships or any other work experience). This means that you cannot obtain a part-time Student Visa for any course that requires a placement or work experience. 
  • Work remotely for an overseas company while in the UK.
  • Bring family members with you to the UK as visa dependents.

Overseas students are able to study research courses part-time without requiring a Student Visa. They will be expected to attend the University for the equivalent of one week in every academic year. Applicants/students in this position are advised to agree on a schedule of attendance with their supervisor and the relevant Head of Department. Some students will still need to apply for a Visitor Visa in advance of visiting the University. Further information about Visitor Visas can be found at

For additional advice and guidance on the visa options for part-time study please contact the International Student Adviser (