All our distance learning programmes begin with a study school. We have found that it is very important for distance learners to meet each other as they start their studies. Meeting face to face makes it much easier to get talking when you meet again online. Friendships are made and support networks established during study school.
These are not just 'social' benefits since distance learning can be an isolating experience and there may be times when you really need some support from your fellow students to keep you going.
We use the first study school to introduce you to the course and the core modules that you will study during the year and answer any queries or worries you may have. As well as introductions to academic modules, we also hold study skill sessions to help you make the transition into studying at a higher level. We look at the kinds of assignments that are done in the Social Sciences, and hope that by the end of the week you will have a better idea of what will be expected of you.
In the end, the reason we have study schools is because we believe it increases the chances of you successfully completing your course and students have told us that they find study schools very motivating.
Study schools allow you to:
- start your studies confidently and study more effectively
- meet with fellow students and especially your year group
- meet staff, your program team, and your personal tutor/learning advisor who will support your studies away from Aberystwyth
- learn more about the core modules from staff who teach and have written the Open Learning materials
- learn about specialist services for distance learners provided by AU Information Services and the Hugh Owen library
- learn about the computer conferencing system and other communication systems and gain confidence in using them
- ask all those questions about your course (and get some answers!) in person
See what our students think about study school
If you have never visited this area of Wales before, you may like to look at these pages:
- Ceredigion Tourist Infomation
- BBC Aberystwyth page
- Aber info - lots of info about Aber as well as links to accommodation and restaurants around the town
- Vas's Guide to Aberystwyth - lots of information about Aberystwyth
- Aber Life - lots of fun sections, like "I love Aber"
- More Aberystwyth information - More links to Aber websites
- International Students and Aberystwyth - a page maintained by the University
See the Travel for more information.