Welcome to Information Services (IS) - PGCE Students
Information Services provide IT and library services to registered students at Aberystwyth University, subject to Information Services Regulations and Guidelines.
To make use of our facilities you will need an Aberystwyth University IT account and an Aber Card.
Your IT account gives you access to:
- University email and file storage
- your student record
- connect your own devices to the University network
- computing facilities on campus
- electronic information sources e.g. ebooks, ejournals
- Blackboard, the University virtual learning environment
- your library account to manage your loans
- software free to you under the University license
- publish webpages on the University's server
You will be able activate your University IT account online shortly before your course begins and you will be emailed with instructions for doing this as soon as your account is ready.
Your Aber Card is used:
- as your student id
- to purchase food in University hospitality outlets
- for library borrowing, including the use of self-issue machines
- to access 24-hour computer rooms
- to access the library out of core hours (to enter and exit)
- for printing, photocopying and scanning
- as your Student Union card
- as your Sports Centre card
Once you have activated your IT account you should apply for your Aber Card online so that it is ready for you when you arrive on campus.
Essential Library and IT Guide for new students
To find out more about Library and IT facilities please a look at our essential Library and IT guide for new students.
The PGCE collection contains teaching resources that can be used by all students. Items within this collection can be identified by a green band on their spine.
When PGCE students are on campus (in September/October and January), items within this collection can only be borrowed by PGCE students and cannot be loaned by other users. During this time, PGCE students can borrow items from the PGCE collection for a rolling two week period.
When PGCE students are on their teaching placement, they can borrow items from the PGCE collection for the duration of their placement. It is only books from this collection (identified by a green band on the spine) that have this extended loan period. During this time, all other students can also borrow items from the PGCE collection.
All items in the PGCE collection are added to Primo - the Library Catalogue and are located in the Hugh Owen Library.
PGCE students can also borrow items which aren't in the PGCE collection both during and outside of their placement. Any non-PGCE collection items borrowed are subject to normal loan periods and must be returned if they have been requested by another user or if they have reached their maximum 6 month loan period.
You will be emailed to let you know when your items need to be returned so check your email account regularly.