The UK government has announced that a new Graduate route will be available from 1 July 2021, to international students who have succesfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above, and who have a valid Tier 4 visa or Student visa at the time of application.
- The graduate immigration route is for students with a Tier 4 or Student visa, who will complete a degree in, or after the summer of 2021.
- Study must be undertaken in the UK, but, Covid-19 concessions have been made for students who have undertaken distance learning outside of the UK.
- UG and Master's degree students will be able to apply to stay for two years.
- PhD students will be able to apply to stay for three years.
- The route will not require sponsorship by an employer or university.
- It will not be possible to extend this type of immigration permission, but it will be possible to switch into another route, if you meet the requirements, for example Skilled Worker visa.
- Supporting documents needed to apply have yet to be announced.
- The application fee will be around £700 and will require an Immigration Health Surcharge payment.
- Applicants will need their most recent CAS number in order to apply.
We will update this page as we get information, so please refer back to it on a regular basis.
Covid-19 distance learning concessions - key dates
The usual expectation of the Graduate route is that you study your course fully in the UK. However, the government has recognised that some students have needed to study remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic. If you are studying remotely in the 2020/21 academic year, and you have a valid Tier 4/Student visa, we would advise you to arrive in the UK, by the dates listed below:
- Courses 12 months or less started in 2020, not travelled to the UK yet: 21 June 2021
- Courses 12 months or less started in 2020, travelled to the UK but currently distance learning: before current Student visa expires
- Masters courses started in Sep/Oct 2020, not travelled to the UK yet: 21 June 2021
- Masters courses started in Sep/Oct 2020, travelled to the UK but currently distance learning: before current Student visa expires
- Undergraduate and PhD students completing in summer 2021: before current Student visa expires
- Longer courses finishing after Summer 2021: Remote study between 24 January 2020 and 27 September 2021 should be disregarded when considering your GR application but you will need to return to the UK before current Student visa expires
Further advice - on-line webinars
We are running on-line webinars, for students who currently hold a Tier 4 (General) or Student visa, to provide information on the new Graduate route and other work options available to international students. The sessions will also look at the support that is available to students to help them find and access graduate jobs.
Please use the links below to join the online session, via MS Teams, of your choice: