Welcome to Information Services (IS) - Distance Learning Students
Information Services provide IT and library services to registered students at Aberystwyth University, subject to Information Services Regulations, Policies and Guidelines.
To make use of our facilities you will need an Aberystwyth University IT account and an Aber Card.
Your IT account gives you access to:
- University email and file storage
- your student record
- connect your own devices to the University network
- computing facilities on campus
- information on your subject of study
- Blackboard, the University virtual learning environment
- your library account to manage your loans
- software free to you under the University license
- publish webpages on the University's server
- ApAber - free from your App Store
You will be able activate your University IT account online shortly before your course begins and you will be emailed with instructions for doing this as soon as your account is ready.
Your Aber Card is used:
- as your student id
and when visiting campus as part of a study school or for research:
- to purchase food in University hospitality outlets
- for library borrowing, including the use of self-issue machines
- to access 24-hour computer rooms
- to access the library out of core hours (to enter and exit)
- for printing, photocopying and scanning
- as your Student Union card
- as your Sports Centre card
Once you have activated your IT account you should apply for your Aber card online so that it is ready for you when you come to campus.
Essential Library and IT Guide for new students
To find out more about Library and IT facilities please a look at our essential Library and IT guide for new students
- Postal loan service
- Access to library resources in other universities
- Our binding service for off-campus students
- Document Supply Service for articles: Articles that we do not have available in the library may be obtained via the Document Supply service. There may be a charge for using this service. Please note that we cannot provide books or theses via the document supply service for distance learning students. These should be ordered via your local library.
- the library and learning resources pages will provide you with information on making the best use of the University's libraries and collections
- the information literacy pages will give you tips and advice on finding and using resources and improving your information literacy skills
- the frequently asked questions pages provide instructions and advice in the use of our facilities and service