Postgraduate Research - Careers Support
Career development workshops
There are a range of PhD focused career development workshops, which run in semester two. These include:
- Careers outside of academia
- Planning your academic career
- CVs non- academic/academic
- Networking and raising your online profile
- Successful interviews
- Taking your PhD outside of academia – arts and humanities
Book via the Graduate School , Researcher Development Programme link here https://stafftraining.aber.ac.uk/pg/list_courses.php
The University has subscribed to the Vitae Research Development Planner, which has an online course to cover all stages in the professional development planning (PDP) process.
PDP is a key component of career progression and this course has been designed and developed using resources specifically for researchers who want to make the most of their opportunities, and create new ones!
You can access the online PDP course for researchers through Vitae.
One to one postgraduate careers consultations
Careers consultations for postgraduate students run every Tuesday morning (term time and during the summer) in the Postgraduate Centre, Graduate School.
These are self-bookable here: https://stafftraining.aber.ac.uk/pg/list_courses.php
Alternatively, you are welcome to come along to our generic careers drop-in service. Careers drop-in runs Monday to Friday during term time, 9.30am-12pm in the Hugh Owen Library, ground floor.
You can also visit our Careers Office, located on the ground floor of the Student Welcome Centre or contact us.
- This eBook provides useful information on career planning for PhD students.
- Beyond the PhD offers thought provoking personal and professional insights into life after a PhD for arts and humanities students
- The free resources section on jobs.ac.uk includes other eBooks, toolkits and careers videos to help you if you are currently looking for a new job or need advice for planning and developing your career.
- Researchers in Schools (RIS) a teacher training programme exclusively for participants who have, or are completing, a doctorate in their subject.
- The Careers section of the Vitae website will help you think about your career choices, navigate recruitment processes and manage your career over the long term.
- Vitae provide a range of resources and information regarding your Professional Development.
- What do Researchers Do? first destinations of doctoral graduates by subject.
- Euraxess - a pan European initiative providing access to research jobs, funding and advice.
- Find-a-Post-Doc - is a specialist jobs board for opportunities in the UK and globally.
- PhD Jobs - a jobs board of vacancies for PhD candidates.
- Academic Jobs Vacancies - features on jobs.ac.uk also has links to useful careers-related articles written by current academics.
- Research Gate - share your research.
- ABERcareers– Careers Service vacancy database and on campus event booking