Sport and Exercise Science
What will I gain from my subject?
As a first step you should look at the programme specification for your subject which will provide insights into the skills and competences developed through your degree programme. Sport and exercise science combines a study of biomechanics, physiology, psychology and nutrition. It develops a large number of transferable skills including communication both oral and written, effective problem solving, project management, research along with data analysis, initiative, time management and information technology.
What can I do with my subject?
Examples of careers taken up include: clinical cardiac physiologist, exercise physiologist, sports dietitian, personal trainer, health promotion specialist, junior sports agent, qualified teacher, local government sport development officer and researcher. About a third of graduates in this discipline will go on to postgraduate study.
- The Prospects website has links on career options with different degrees which is worth exploring
Useful Careers Websites
- HealthJobs UK
- Leisure Opportunities
- Sport England
- Inspiring Interns
- Public Health Wales
- Activity Alliance - Disability Inclusion Sport
Professional bodies and associations
These organisations promote the interests of people working in particular professions. Some have listings of employers who are members of the association and may advertise jobs while others may be a useful source of information when researching employers for applications or considering a speculative application.
- The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity
- Institute for Outdoor Learning
What do Aber graduates do?
Below are examples of roles our Sport and Exercise Science graduates have moved into:
- Assistant Teacher
- Gym Instructor
- Recruitment Consultant
- Self Employed Personal Trainer
- Self Employed Swimming Teacher
- Sports Centre Marketing and Engagement Project Officer
- Strength and Conditioning Intern