|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||9 x 1 hr tutorials|
|Practical||12 x 2hr; 4 x 1hr|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||i) 2 x 1500 word tutorial essays (20%); ii) 2 x short answer tests on mathematical/chemical procedures (15%); iii) 10 minute group oral presentation (5%); iv) Practical exam (40%); v) GIS map production assignment (20%).||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmission of failed (< 40%) components. Marks for passed components will be carried forward in the recalculation of the resat module mark.||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Produce written work of a style and standard appropriate to university level coursework.
- Safely conduct some basic chemical procedures
- Select and use appropriate mathematical procedures
- Work as part of a team and give an oral presentation.
- Use and interpret geological maps.
- Describe the basic functionality of a GIS and produce a basic GIS map.
This module will be taught in three parallel 3 parts: lectures, tutorials and practicals (geological mapping and GIS). For details see the next section.
- Essay and technical report writing skills
- Basic chemistry for Earth Scientists
- Basic mathematics for Earth Scientists
- Geological mapping
- Introduction to GIS
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Numeracy workshops; assessment 2|
|Communication||Tutorials; assessment 2|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Tutorials|
|Information Technology||Use of spreadsheets and word processors|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Tutorials|
|Problem solving||Tutorials, and practicals; assessments 1 and 3|
|Research skills||Assessments 1 and 2|
|Subject Specific Skills||Chemical skills Geological map skills|
|Team work||Assessment 2|
This module is at CQFW Level 4