|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Other||Workshops 10 x 1.5 hrs|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||1 CAL test||25%|
|Semester Assessment||Essay written in class - questions one week in advance||25%|
|Semester Assessment||2500 word essay||50%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. identify the principle art tendencies in European painting 1840-1900 and will be able to discuss key images in relation to these.
2. be able to read critically some of the theoretical and art historical literature on nineteenth century European painting and be able to recognise the problems of categorisations of artists and movements.
3. develop expertise in note-taking, library research, essay writing, and the presentation of ideas in class discussion.
There will be a 1-hour lecture and a one-and-a-half hour workshop each week.
the course will be taught by Moira Vincentelli and Kathy Talbot.
The course will enable the student
1. to identify the principle art tendencies in European painting 1840-1900 and will be able to discuss key images in relation to these.
2. to be able to read critically some of the theoretical and art historical literature on nineteenth century European painting and be able to recognise the problems of categorisations of artists and movements.
3. to develop expertise in note-taking, library resaerch, essay writing, and the presentation of ideas in class discussion
Denvir,B (1992) Post-Impressionism London Thames and Hudson Dolphin Primo search Eisenman, Stephen (1994) Nineteenth Century Art - A Critical History London: T&H Primo search Frascina, Blake,Fer,Garb, Harrison (1993) Modernity and Modernism - French Painting in the Nineteenth Century Yale: Open University Primo search Frascina,F. and Harris,J (1992) Art in Modern Culture, an Anthology of Critical Texts Open University, Phaidon, Primo search Garb, Tamar (1998) Bodies of Modernity, Figure and Flesh in fin de siecle France Thames and Hudson, London Primo search Greenhalgh, Paul (2001) Art Nouveau 1890-1914 Victoria & Albert Museum Primo search Jacobs, Michael, (1985) The Good and Simple Life: Artist Colonies in Europe and America Oxford: Phaidon Primo search Laughton, Bruce (1991) The Drawings of Millet and Daumier New Haven, Yale Primo search Lubern, Nina (2001) Rural Artists' colonies in Europe 1870-1910 Manchester,MUP Primo search M. Pointon, Marcia (1990) Naked Authority - the Nude in Western Painting Cambridge, Primo search MacKenzie, John (1995) Orientalism, History, Theory and the Arts Manchester, MUP Primo search Pollock, Griselda (1988) Vision and Difference, Femininity, Feminism and the Histories of Art New York, Routledge Primo search Said, Edward (1978) Orientalism. London, Routledge and Kegan Paul Primo search Sarah Simmons (1979) Daumier, Oresko London Primo search Smith, Paul (1993) Impressionism, Beneath the Surface London: Everyman Primo search Treuherz, J (1993) Victorian Painting London Thames and Hudson Dolphin Primo search Varnedoe, K., (1987) Caillebotte, New Haven Primo search Weisberg, Gabriel Realism Primo search (1996) Caillebotte, the Unknown Impressionist Royal Academy catalogue Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5