|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||3 Hours.|
|Seminars / Tutorials||(6 x 0.5 hour tutorials)|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
On successful completion of this module students should possess:
either a viable, embryonic subject matter with potential for further development, or a subject matter which has been explored, assessed, but proven incapable of maturation in the context of the student's interests and experience a broader technical vocabulary
experience of various strategies of development and a set of critical and evaluative tools relevant to your modus operandi.
a consciousness of the wider context of art practice baring upon their work
a capacity for self-directed study in readiness for Level 3
Based on projects and individual tutorials, this module is intended for second year students who have alrady chosen painting as their main option (ie they do not intend to study any of other options available). There is a concentration on the analysis of appropriate subject matter together with analytical drawing and painting from observation.
- The acquisition of key skills in the methods and materials of painting
- Through a series of personal tutorials, to offer an experience of finding subject matter and ways of working both personal to his/her own expressive needs and appropriate to the medium of painting and to the course as a whole
- An enhanced understanding of the capabilites and limitations of painting as a means of creative expression and communication
- The ability to make more informed and appropriate choices of methods and materials, understanding their relative potentials and limitations
- The acquisition of basic information about the history of methods and materials through a series of lectures/demonstrations
- To instil a good level of knowledge about the correct preparation of surfaces for painting and the correct methods of making and completing a painting, equipping him/her for professional practice in the future
- To establish or further devleop with a student a subject matter appropriate to his/her own abilities and artistic strengths and aptitudes.
- To give the student experience in organising and bringing to completion a body of work that has been developed and explored over the period of the semester
This module is at CQFW Level 5