|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Essay 3,000 words||50%|
|Semester Assessment||LIS journal review 1,000 words||50%|
At the end of this module you should be able to:
- consider the implications of the expanding 'information society';
- explain the impact of ICT in the provision of information and library services, and the development of the electronic/digital library;
- distinguish the related issues of intellectual freedom and freedom of information;
- seek information using a range of electronic information resources;
- discuss the ethical, legal, and social factors affecting the flow of information;
- list the various procedures that can be followed when selecting and implementing an electronic information service;
- discuss the nature of information flow between a government and its citizens;
- identify areas of 'information deprivation'.
It must be emphasised from the beginning that this module is designed to be an introduction to a very large subject area. There is no attempt to cover all aspects of the subject with the same degree of thoroughness unfortunately, your time and our space constraint does not permit that. However, it is hoped that you will find the aspects we have concentrated on interesting, stimulating, and relevant.
This module is at CQFW Level 7