|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Other||No formal contact time but students will be assigned a supervisor to provide guidance and advice during the course of the research and the writing of the dissertation.|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Produce a 15,000-20,000 word (maximum) research thesis.||90%|
|Semester Assessment||Present a research seminar.||10%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Presentation marks to be carried forward. Resubmit research thesis.||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Independently formulate research design and hypotheses.
2. Demonstrate their knowledge of the theoretical principles of scientific research.
3. Place research in appropriate wider contexts.
4. Undertake independent fieldwork
5. Undertake appropriate laboratory analyses of collected samples.
6. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of professional quality thesis.
7. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of an oral presentation.
8. Work to a tight schedule.
The research project is an independent study on a chosen research question in River Basin Dynamics and Management. Students will have the possibility to specialise in the use of specific technique(s) in order to solve particular research questions. Students will be expected to identify a specific research problem and identify aims and objectives, devise a research strategy and collect appropriate field and or laboratory data, present and interpret the dataset and discuss its relevance and implications in the context of published material.
- Devise research enquiry.
- Complete necessary background reading.
- Complete necessary field and laboratory work.
- Complete written thesis.
- Prepare and deliver research presentation.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||The research will involve the analysis of data. Statistical tests will be performed on the data set.|
|Communication||Students will present their work to their colleagues and to members of staff through the medium of a formal presentation.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Students will conduct much of this work independently; therefore there is a requirement for them to read appropriate literature and to ensure that maintain good time management to complete the research on time.|
|Information Technology||Depending on the thesis topic, students will use a variety of advanced data processing and presentation software.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Independent work and time management.|
|Problem solving||Students are expected to devise a research enquiry and to use appropriate techniques to solve the problem.|
|Research skills||Research skills are integral to the successful completion of the module as it is based on a research enquiry.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will further their skills in River Basin Dynamics and Management through the completion of the thesis.|
|Team work||Team work will be required for the acquisition of ground truth data.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7