|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Other||No formal contact time but students will be assigned a supervisor to provide guidance and advice during the course of the research and the writing of the dissertation.|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Present a research seminar.||10%|
|Semester Assessment||Produce a 15,000 - 20,000 word (maximum) research thesis.||90%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Presentation marks to be carried forward. Resubmit research thesis.|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Independently formulate research design and hypotheses.
2. Demonstrate their knowledge of the theoretical principles of scientific research.
3. Place research in appropriate wider contexts.
4. Search relevant databases.
5. Undertake independent fieldwork (if applicable)
6. Undertake appropriate laboratory analyses.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in appropriate statistical and analytical methodologies.
8. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of professional quality thesis with due consideration to aspects of data quality.
9. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of an oral presentation.
10. Work to a tight schedule.
Students will be expected to devise a research enquiry and to use appropriate laboratory and interpretation/visualization as well as GIS techniques (where appropriate modules have been taken) to solve the research problem.
- Devise research enquiry.
- Complete necessary background reading.
- Complete necessary field and laboratory work.
- Complete written thesis.
- Prepare and deliver research presentation.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||The research will involve the analysis of data. Statistical tests will be performed on the data set.|
|Communication||Students will present their work to their colleagues and to members of staff through the medium of a formal presentation.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Students will conduct much of this work independently; therefore there is a requirement for them to read appropriate literature and to ensure that maintain good time management to complete the research on time.|
|Information Technology||Team work may be required for the collection of appropriate environmental media in the field. Students may use a variety of statistical, graphical, spreadsheet, data handling and GIS software.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Skills gained in specialist analytical techniques, together with other software (includingGIS where appropriate) will directly aid those seeking a career in the environmental field.|
|Problem solving||Students are expected to devise a research enquiry and to use appropriate techniques to solve the problem.|
|Research skills||Research skills are integral to the successful completion of the module as it is based on a research enquiry.|
|Team work||Team work may be required for the collection of appropriate environmental media in the field.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7