|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Other||Contact Hours: 3 hours of one-to-one or small group contact|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||One essay of 4000 words Essay:||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Assessment is by resubmission of the essay by 31 August. This does not entail any additional supervision.||100%|
Upon successful completion of this module, students should be able to show:
- a well-developed capacity for semi-independent (i.e. independent but guided) work on a given topic
- a well-developed capacity for information retrieval in both print and electronic media
- a sound awareness of both the general area of study and of the specific subject-matter of the essay
- (in the case of students taking this module across two languages) an awareness of the relationships of the two languages, cultures or literatures being compared
- an ability to present work in a satisfactorily scholarly manner
Joint Honours and Major/Minor students of two languages will have to show how the subject of the essay spans both languages.
Joint Honours and Major/Minor students of a language plus a Minor subject outside the Department will have to show how the subject of the essay concerns both their language subject and their non-language subject.
The module is not available to students only taking a language as a Minor subject when their Major subject is outside the Department.
You should discuss and agree your chosen subject with your tutor not later than the end of November. Discussion should include mutually acceptable arrangements for supervision time and completion of the Departmental agreement. Copies of these are available from the Departmental Secretary.
Students will only be allowed to write one essay per annum.
This module is at CQFW Level 6