|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||16 Hours. Two one hour lectures per week|
|Seminars / Tutorials||3 Hours. Three one hour seminars|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||1.5 Hours||100%|
|Supplementary Exam||1.5 Hours||100%|
Upon successful completion of this module, students will be able to identify and differentiate between different business structures. Additionally, students will be able to define the principle legal issues that arise within company law and to relate these issues to the commercial situations that arise within modern society. Additionally the module will develop student's ability to evaluate legal tools and to apply those tools within practical settings.
2. Legal Status of Companies: the concept of separate legal personality.
3. Company Formation and Classification: The dissolution of a Company, pre-incorporation contracts.
4. The Company Constitution: the memorandum of association and articles of association.
5. The Contractual Capacity of the Company: Agency, ultra vires and directors' authority.
6. The Organs of the Company: the general meetings of shareholders and the board of directors and the division of power between the shareholders and directors.
7. Directors' Duties.
8. Auditors and the Company Secretary: their role and functions within the company.
9. Share Capital and Loan Capital.
10. The Protection of Minority Shareholders.
The module aims to enable students to identify and describe the main legal principles relating to individual business structures and company law. Additionally the module aims to enable students to distinguish between and explain the case law and statute law that underpin these areas and to recognise their relevance within the commercial world.
The areas of law examined in this module will be of assistance to students intending to pursue careers in law, accountancy, business management, financial services and related occupations.
Reading ListEssential Reading
Dine, Janet and Koutsias, Marios (2009) Company Law 7th ed. Palgrave Macmillan Primo search Gower, L. C. B. and Davies (2008) Principles of Modern Company Law 8th ed. Sweet & Maxwell Primo search Moore, Marc (2011) Company Law Statutes 2010-11 Routledge Cavendish Primo search Recommended Text
Bourne, Nicholas (2010) Bourne on Company Law 5th ed. Taylor & Francis Group Primo search Hannigan, Brenda M. (2009) Company Law 2nd ed. Oxford University Press Primo search Kershaw (2009) Company Law in Context Oxford University Press Primo search Sealy & Worthington (2010) Sealy's Cases and Materials in Company Law 9th ed. Oxford University Press Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 6