|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||10 x 2 hours|
|Seminars / Tutorials||5 x 1 hour|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||An individual in-class test - 15% A group project - 15%||30%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours||70%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours Resit/Re-submission of failed element or elements. An individual financial analysis project to be submitted as supplementary assessment in lieu of the Group Project.||100%|
Having completed this module, student should be able to:
- Explain the various roles of the accounting function in organisations
- Explain and illustrate the rules and conventions by which financial statements are prepared.
- Interpret company financial statements and prepare a simple analyst style report to interpret underlying business history, position and prospects.
- Explain and evaluate the effects of selected earnings management reporting issues that can impact on the financial analysis exercise.
- Identify and use internal accounting data for selected management accounting and decision-making scenarios.
- Explain the budgeting process and prepare cost centre/cash budgets .
- Explain and discuss on the contemporary management accounting techniques for assessing performance.
The over-riding concern is that students should be able to speak the accounting language of business; be able to take an active part in discussions of or based on accounting information; and understand and appropriately employ accounting information and techniques in making business decisions.
2) Accounting basics
3) Main financial statements
4) Analysis and interpretation of financial statements
5) Cost analysis, classification and determination
6) Short-run decision making
7) Planning and control systems
8) Performance evaluation
Reading ListGeneral Text
Collier, P M (2006) Accounting for Managers 2nd edition Wiley Primo search Davies, T. and Boczko, T. Business Accounting and Finance Primo search Dyson, J Accounting for Non-Accounting Students Primo search Fraser, Lyn M and Ormiston, Aileen (1998) Understanding Financial Statements, Pearson Primo search Jones, M Accounting Primo search Parker, R H (1999) Understanding Company Financial Statements, Penguin Primo search Should Be Purchased
Atrill, Peter. (2008.) Accounting and finance for non-specialists /Peter Atrill and Eddie McLaney. 6th ed. FT/Prentice Hall Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 7