|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||1 x 2 hour lecture per week|
|Practical||2 x 2 hour practicals during semester|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours WRITTEN EXAMINATION||100%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours WRITTEN EXAMINATION||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Interpret appropriate veterinary terminology
2. Distinguish between sick and healthy animals on the basis of behavioural changes
3. Identify and describe common diseases of companion animals.
4. Discuss preventative control measures available for these diseases.
5. Discuss the principles of animal welfare relating to the conditions in which companion animals are kept and
6. Discuss the administration of first aid to an injured animal
The module will cover the meanings of veterinary terminology, the causes of disease, the indicators of illness in different species of companion animal, the methods of examination of individual sick animals, etc, and methods of diagnosis of disease.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Communication||Written communication - exam|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Developed for exam|
|Research skills||Research into veterinary diseases, control and treatment, using peer reviewed journal sources in preparation for exam|
Reading ListRecommended Text
Aiello, S E (editor) (2005) The Merck Veterinary Manual 9th Merck and Co Primo search Birchard, S J and Sherding, R G (2006) Saunders' Manual of Small Animal Practice W B Saunders Primo search Blood, D C and Studdert, V P (1998) Saunders' Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary W B Saunders Primo search Boden, E (editor) (2005) Black's Veterinary Dictionary A & C Black Primo search Recommended Consultation
Equine Veterinary Journal Primo search In Practice (Supplement to Veterinary Record) Primo search The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine practice Primo search Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology Primo search Veterinary Journal Primo search Veterinary Record Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5