|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||3 Hours||70%|
After completing this module:
1. You will understand the importance of what is meant by the term 'The Welsh Arthurian Legend'.
2. You will be able to discuss the problems which are faced when trying to prove the existence of an historical Arthur.
3. You will be able to read various short prose passages dealing with Arthur'r adventures in the original language.
4. You will be able to discuss the main pre-Norman texts that revolve around the Arthur of the Welsh.
5. You will be able to discuss the Welsh Arthurian material in an objective light.
This module will deal with the earliest attested vestiges of the Arthurian saga in Welsh. The texts to be studied will include selected passages from Kulhwch ac Olwen together with a detailed analysis of at least two 'Arthurian' poems, Pa Wr yw'r Porthor and Preiddeu Annwn. Conclusions will be drawn from these texts concerning the rise in the importance of Arthur in Welsh literature from about the 9th century through to the 11th century. An attempt will be made to deduce the exact nature of the Arthurian fabula in pre-Norman Wales.
This module is at CQFW Level 7