This module examines the physics of atmospheres, both neutral and ionised, and the interaction of their upper regions with both the planet's own magnetic field and the interplanetary magnetic field.
- Vertical structure. Hydrostatic equilibrium and scale heights. Atmospheric layers.
- Regions of ionospheres.
- Ionisation production and loss mechanisms, Chapman layers. Transport of ionisation and its effects on vertical density structure.
- Ionospheric chemistry and the physical basis of anticorrelations between electron temperature and density.
- Ionospheric dynamics and the servo-theory of the F-region.
- Experimental techniques: Radio wave propagation: plasma frequency, gyrofrequency, phase velocity, group velocity, refractive index. The Appleton- Hartree equation and radio sounding. Scatter radars and trans-ionospheric propagation methods.
- High-Latitude Ionospheres and Magnetospheres
- Magnetospheric regions.
- Magnetic field; dipolar and distorted.
- Motion of charged particles; gyro, bounce and drift motion.
- Solar wind-magnetosphere coupling; magnetic reconnection. Plasma convection.
- Electric currents; Pedersen, Hall, field-aligned. High-latitude ionosphere coupling to Magnetosphere, auroral electrojets, substorms, aurora.