|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||Tutorials 11 x 0.5 hrs|
|Other||5 Hours. Workshops|
|Practical||13 Hours. x 22|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||You must resubmit the failed component in the form of a new portfolio of work. Portfolio:||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. produce a portfolio of work demonstrating thematic, stylistic, and technical coherence and quality (Aims: C, D, E, F, G, I, J)
2. produce a portfolio of work that demonstrates at least competence in the basic techniques of black and white photography including exposure, film developing and printing (Aims: A, B)
3. articulate the processes by which you have arrived at the final portfolio including reference to contemporary practice (Aims: C, D, H, I)
Relation to Assessment
Outcomes 1-3 are assessed through tutorials and the final portfolio assessment
Core module in the study of methods and materials of black and white photography including the technologies of cameras, lenses, films, papers and the developing and enlarging procedures. At the same time, the student examines the nature of the photographic image and carries out various set projects.
A. competently and confidently approach image capture and reproduction
B. explore creative photographic applications through set briefs, workshops and tutorials.
C. reveal the possibilities of photography as a medium of document, reference and creative imaging.
D. develop a personal, individual, and imaginative response to subject matter
E. acquire and refine appropriate technical dexterity and stylistic concerns
F. produce a body of work that demonstrates conceptual and technical coherence, and the ability to sustain a commitment to subject over a period.
G. possess a productive response to work
H. articulate verbally the criteria by which the body of work is made and should be judged
I. develop analytical and diagnostic abilities
J. define a field of action
2. Darkroom demonstration/ tutorials
3. Films and papers/open tutorials
4. Tutorials: Project 2 launch and group critique
5 Cyan type workshop/open tutorials
6. Van Dyk brownprint workshop/open tutorials
7. Project 3 launch and intro to medium format and group critique
10. Open tutorials
11. Final Group Critique
The module will assist the development of the following transferable skills:
- Self-directed project work -- through the production of a portfolio of work
- Oral skills -- in the context of individual and assessment tutorials
- Careers needs awareness - N/A
- Self-management -- through a series of one-to-one tutorials in which the principles of matching a program of work to a fixed period of time are imparted. The student's success in this respect is measured by the extent to which the program of work was completed within the prescribed time.
- Group activity - in the group tutorial where the students make assessments of each others work.
You are expected to read books and journals relevant to the field of study Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5