Gwybodaeth Modiwlau

Module Identifier
Module Title
Written Communications in Management and Business
Academic Year
Semester 2 (Taught over 2 semesters)
Mutually Exclusive
Other Staff

Course Delivery

Delivery Type Delivery length / details
Seminars / Tutorials 20 x 2 hours (1 per week = 10 seminars per semester x 2 semesters)


Assessment Type Assessment length / details Proportion
Semester Assessment Critical Review and Comparative Analysis.  1) Identify a case study document within fields of management and business and write a critical review of the paper (500 - 750 words) (12.5%) 2) Identify comparative academic and professional media documents to analyse differences in audience characteristics and subsequent styles of writing (500 - 750 words) (12.5%)  two components (each worth 12.5%) but bundled together as Astra did not like 12.5%. Amendments as per JPMs instructions  25%
Semester Assessment Essay.  Essay (1500 words)  assessment proportion amended as per JPM instructions  25%
Semester Assessment Portfolio Assignment and Production of Materials.  1) Portfolio assignment including a team-based presentation of idead for project proposal and team written proposal fro research project on providing professional publicity or social information on the student experience at Aberystwyth (1000 words) (12.5%) 2) Production of actual publicity or social information materials based on proposal. Materials may include a variety of electronic, video or print based formats (12.5%)  two components (each worth 12.5%) but bundled together as Astra did not like 12.5%. Amendments as per JPMs instructions  25%
Semester Assessment Semester 2  Team written final report (2500 words) and final team presentation  assessment proportion amended as per JPM  25%
Supplementary Assessment Students will re-submit any failed assignments identifying a new topic that is distinct from the original failed piece/s of work. The word count will be dependent on the actual failed tasks, but will not exceed the original word counts identified above. The maximum word count for re-submission will be 7500 words.  assessment proportion amended as per JPM 

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this module students should be able to:

* Analyse and appropriately interpret the needs of a given writing and/or communications brief

* Display a critical awareness of the differences between academic and professional discourse

* Identify the relative values of reference materials from a wide range of published and media resources

* Evaluate the effectiveness of their own writing, communication and research strategies at all stages of the writing and/or communications process

* Target the needs of proposed research interests

* Work effectively in self managed teams

* Identify needs for drafting oral presentations from written documents

* Further develop skills in self reflexive assessment of the needs of a range of written and oral communication practices

Brief description

In semester 1 the module covers aspects of planning, drafting, re-drafting, editing and submitting written academic work in essay and report format. It will compare and contrast these approaches to writing with approaches required in the workplace and in professional media. To facilitate this students will work with case studies in management and business to identify issues in structural and rhetorical descriptions of written communication and in particular how choices made by individual communicators impact on academic and professional audiences.

In semester 2 the module develops upon the themes of semester 1 and expands into a significant teamwork project in developing, writing and producing socially or publicity oriented materials that reflect the student experience at Aberystwyth University. The materials created may include a variety of formats, which include YouTube videos, limited public content Facebook pages, printed materials, among others. The project will culminate in a series of presentations of project materials.


To enhance the ability for students to develop levels of excellence in academic writing and to contrast this with variable possibilities in the requirements of future professional writing in the fields of Management and Business.

This module will be useful for:

  • Second and third year students who need to further develop writing ability as a result of writing development needs identified from year 1;
  • Second year entry students on internationally agreed 2+2 programmes;
  • Second and third year students who need to develop an awareness and appreciation of finer nuances of written communication in academic and professional life;
  • Students who wish to pursue the development of writing with a view to career plans that may involve significant professional writing responsibilities;
  • To provide pathways to writing at higher levels of critical and self reflexive complexity for those intending to pursue postgraduate studies.

Module Skills

Skills Type Skills details
Application of Number Structuring and sequencing in essays and reports.
Communication 1) Groupwork within the module; 2) communicating ideas through sequence of graded tasks.
Improving own Learning and Performance Through all seminars and tasks; written identification through reflective report.
Information Technology Use of computer network for researching essays, identifying case study material, planning and writing essays. Some tasks will be submitted through Blackboard.
Personal Development and Career planning Consideration is given to the needs of professional communication through all tasks.
Problem solving Identifying writing topics, topic analysis, interpreting essay questions, creating writing task, essay and report structures, identifying strategies for learning.
Research skills Independently proposing essay questions, researching subject matter related to tasks, essays/reports, identifying suitable case study material, reviewing material.
Subject Specific Skills Rhetorical and linguistic analysis of subject specific text and tasks.
Team work Groupwork within module.


This module is at CQFW Level 6