- Dr Helen E Moreton (Senior Lecturer - Royal Agricultural University (RAU))
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Workshop||5 x 3 Hour Workshops|
|Lecture||7 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Field Trip||1 x 3 Hour Field Trip|
|Workshop||3 x 3 Hour Workshops|
|Lecture||11 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Business budgeting and analysis assignment.||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Construct and analyse a set of financial statements
2. Describe the requirements when budgeting for businesses.
3. Utilise different techniques to quantify the business options available.
4. Construct fully detailed farm/equine business budgets (including financial statements).
5. Prepare an investment plan, including appraisal and selection of appropriate finance
6. Identify informational requirements of financial institutions in lending assessments.
This module provides students with the necessary skills to analyse, budget and appraise a rural business. It also provides students with skills necessary to appraise capital investments.
Gross Margin and Enterprise analysis
Using budgeting tools in the decision making process
Construction of a budget plan that combines physical and financial assumptions to predict likely business success
Risk and Uncertainty in the budget process
Appraisal of capital investment opportunities
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Preparation and analysis of farm/equine budgets|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Business budgeting and appraisal assignment allows students to develop own ideas on the future direction of case study farm/equine enterprise. This will be based on own collection of data and own analysis.|
|Information Technology||Case study submission is word processed, extensive use of spreadsheets for accounts/budget construction and extensive data analysis using spreadsheets|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Case study is based on a real life scenario which a student could be expected to encounter|
|Problem solving||The Business budgeting and appraisal assignment requires the selection and analysis of appropriate information, within a specified timescale, to allow for the development of a budget. The volume of information encountered will not see the assignment submitted within set deadlines if self management is not practised.|
|Subject Specific Skills|
This module is at CQFW Level 5