|Assessment length / details
|Module Assessment Written Assignment of 5,000 words
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
Display a knowledge and understanding of the process of enforcement in the context of the legal regulation of business cartels.
Display a knowledge and understanding of the operation of particular strategies of enforcement in this context.
Critically evaluate the policy and rules underlying these strategies and the effectiveness of such methods of legal control.
Display an ability to gain access to the relevant literature and material in this field and how to use them in a critical discussion of the subject.
Present critical and well-informed argument regarding the use of strategies of enforcement in the context of business cartels.
2. The legal character of anti-cartel investigations and sanctions, standards of proof, and the process of judicial review.
3. The economic context: the use of economic argument and market analysis in relation to evidential issues.
4. `Offence? definition as a means of proving the case: the concept of the `cartel as a whole?.
5. Methods of investigation, with particular reference to the use of `dawn raids?.
6. The use of deterrent sanctions: the nature, level and impact of fines.
7. The operation of leniency programmes.
8. The criminalization of cartels.
9. Appeals against cartel decisions.
This module is at CQFW Level 7