Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours Unseen written examination||50%|
|Semester Assessment||Coursework report of 2,500 words||50%|
|Supplementary Exam||Unseen written examination Repeat failed element||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Coursework report of 2,500 words Repeat failed element||50%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Demonstrate an understanding of the roles and dynamics required for a management team to be effective;
* Perform effectively as part of a management team in developing a marketing strategy in a competitive environment;
* Discuss the meaning of 'strategic' marketing;
* Demonstrate understanding of the types of marketing strategies (competitive market positions);
* Analyse customer segments;
* Analyse competitors;
* Analyse organizational strengths and weaknesses;
* Evaluate customer segments;
* Evaluate competitors;
* Evaluate organizational strengths and weaknesses;
* Synthesise analyses and evaluations of customers, competitors and organizational resources to formulate a reasoned marketing strategy;
* Demonstrate understanding of what is needed to implement a marketing strategy effectively.
This module develops the content of MM30120 Marketing Management, which focuses on the application of marketing principles in a management context, by taking a strategic look at the functional area of Marketing. It focuses on the integration of diverse marketing decisions, activities and processes for the purpose of creating and sustaining competitive advantage. Its use of The Marketing Game provides an experiential and team mode of learning; by engaging in unstructured problem-solving in teams students learn subject-specific skills related to the formulation of marketing strategy, and also learn transferable skills related to the roles required for management teams to be effective.
This module deals with the content, formulation process and implementation of strategy in the functional area of Marketing.
- The meanings of strategic marketing.
- Marketing strategy content: competitive market positioning.
- Marketing strategy implementation: internal marketing; team role analysis (Belbin); organizational change management.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||In the Marketing Game, students will use numerical data as inputs into customer and competitor analysis.|
|Communication||Working as part of a team in the Marketing Strategy Game, students will express, persuade and negotiate their views on the appropriate content of marketing strategy. In a written piece of coursework and in a written exam they will communicate their knowledge and understanding of marketing strategy.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Working as part of a team in the Marketing Strategy Game, students will learn experientially how to perform as part of a management team.|
|Information Technology||Students will use word-processing packages, e-mail and the Internet.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||This module will allow students to demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and ability to perform in a management team.|
|Problem solving||Students solve the problems inherent in developing a marketing strategy in the Marketing Game.|
|Research skills||Students do customer and competitor research as part of the Marketing Strategy Game.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students develop their knowledge and understanding of the content, formulation process and implementation of strategy in the functional area of Marketing.|
|Team work||Students will learn to which management team roles they are most suited, can adapt or should avoid. They will learn to observe and respond to the dynamics of team decision-making.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6