|Assessment length / details
|Worksheets (In class and in own time)
|Assignment (Students must take elements of assessments equivalent to those that lead to failure of the module)
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Explain the distinction between structure, content and presentation of web material and the benefits of maintaining that distinction.
2. Write HTML and control its presentation using style sheets.
3. Write client-side code to interact with the web page, read and process form content.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between client-side and server-side, in the context of the web.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of adhering to standards.
This module introduces the core technologies and architectures of the web. It will address the way that web content is displayed, how the visual presentation is controlled and how server-side and client-side code are used to control the behavior of the web pages. It will also cover the communications protocol used to transfer web data and consider issues such as validation and DOM manipulation. Students will have the opportunity to develop both theoretical and practical understanding of the web.
2. Validation, web standards, HTML as XML/SGML. Documents as trees. Browser wars.
4. Client and server-side comparison. The HTTP protocol. Introduction to the principles of server-side programming.
5. Multimedia content
6. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
7. The future of the WWW
|Application of Number
|None beyond that required for programming.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Developing the ability to work with web systems, drawing on online resources to identify and apply those ideas to the work on the module.
|Inherent in the module.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|The module gives students an insight into the creating web systems that are widely used in industry.
|Problem solving is intrinsic to software development and testing.
|Developed through work with the technologies, independent study and preparation for the examination.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Specialist web development knowledge and skills will be explored.
This module is at CQFW Level 4