|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Written Report (2,500 words).||40%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours||60%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written Report - 2,500 words. (Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.)||40%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours (Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.)||60%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Discuss the theory, and evaluate and implement the know ledge and tools of operations and supply chain management.
2. Critically evaluate systems for the operational management of materials, inventory and capacity.
3. Critically review the design, planning and control of supply chains.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the importance and impact of technological change in business operations.
5. Identify and discuss the contemporary operational and supply chain issues faced by organizations.
This module provides an introduction to a range of topics under the general heading of operations and supply chain management. The module develops an understanding of the application of relevant operations and supply chain concepts/techniques to manage operations and supply chains efficiently and effectively, and resolve business problems.
• Operations, processes and life cycles
• Supply chain management
• Managing materials and inventory performance
• Managing capacity and demand
• Managing queuing and customer satisfaction
• Quality management
• New products and services
• Designing processes and using technology
• Lean management
• ICT risk and failure
• Innovation and continuous improvement
• Project management
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Analysis of financial and other numerically based company reports.|
|Communication||Develop communications skills including presentation and listening skills. Improve literacy skills by reading and writing about operations and supply chain management.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Devise and apply realistic self-learning strategies, review and monitor overall performance, be aware of time management techniques.|
|Information Technology||Use a range of commonly used software packages, prepare and analyze data, present information.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Students will be able to use the skills learnt in this module to enhance their career opportunities. They will also be able to consider supply chain and operations implications within their chosen career.|
|Problem solving||Identify problems. Develop creative thinking approaches to problem solving. Evaluate advantages and disadvantages. Construct a rational proposal in response to a problem.|
|Research skills||Carry out research into operations and supply chain management. Identify relevant source material for assignments and case studies.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will be able to understand, and analyze operations and supply chains and consider how these relationships can provide a competitive advantage and capacity requirements in their chosen career and organization.|
|Team work||Understand the concept of group dynamics, contribute effectively to group activities, participate in group discussions and seminars.|
This module is at CQFW Level 5