For information on University-related fleet vehicles, please click on the following links:

Driver Policy

Driving Policy - March 2023 (pdf)


1.    Policy Statement
2.    Scope
3.    Associated University Information and Guidance
4.    Legislation and Codes of Practice
5.    Definitions
6.    Responsibilities
6.1  The Vice Chancellor and University Executive
6.2  Line Managers (Including Faculty PVCs, Heads of Academic and Professional Service Departments)
6.3  Travel & Fleet Department
6.4  Occupational Drivers
7.    Additional Guidance
7.1  Use of Own Vehicles
7.2. Mobile Telephones and Communication Devices
7.3  Dangerous Goods
7.4  Alcohol, Drugs & Medication
7.5  Occupation drivers of Specialised Vehicles
7.6  Minibus Drivers
7.7  Towing Trailers
7.8  Fines, Tolls and Charges
7.9  Speeding Offences and Roadside Incidents
8.    Risk Assessments 
9.    Review

1. Policy Statement
The University will manage the risks associated with work-related driving activities falling under its control in such a way as to mitigate the risks to occupational drivers and other people potentially affected by work-related driving activities.

The University will achieve this policy by:
• Assessing significant risks associated with work-related driving activities and implementing control measures to reduce these risks to a tolerable level.
• Only allowing people with the necessary competence to drive University owned or leased vehicles.
• Providing advice and guidance to occupational drivers to meet the legal responsibilities placed on them by relevant legislation.
• Ensuring that people who drive their own vehicles on University business do so legally by the provision of relevant advice and guidance and by periodic checks (e.g. on driving licences, insurance and other documentation).
• Managing University owned and leased vehicles to ensure that these are kept in an efficient and effective working condition in accordance with any statutory requirements. Where vehicles fail to meet this standard they will be taken out of use until such times as any defects are remedied.
• Prohibiting the use of hand-held mobile phones and communications devices by occupational drivers when they are carrying out any work-related driving activities, on University land as well as public highways.
• Promoting the use of public transport where this is practical.

The University considers your safety a priority and has produced this policy which sets out what members of staff and others can expect from us and what we expect from you in managing work-related journeys.

Return to top

2. Scope
This policy applies to the driving of any type of vehicle and applies to all staff that drive on University business. This includes:

• Employees who are required to drive vehicles as an integral part of their work (e.g. staff in Professional Service areas); or
• Employees who drive either University vehicles, or their own vehicle or hired vehicles as part of their work or to carry out some aspect of the University’s business (e.g. staff attending meetings or conferences or events, or travelling to off-site destinations for research or fieldwork or any other University activities). This includes any work-related driving activities that may take place overseas.

Commuting journeys between an employee’s home address or place of residence and their normal place of work fall outside of the scope of this policy.

Risks associated with the carrying of certain loads, hazardous substances, lifting operations or similar activities are covered under separate health and safety policy, standards and guidance.

This policy applies to students if they are asked to drive on University business or who drive as part of a University managed or organised activity. Driving activities by students for or on behalf of the Students Union (for example, driving minibuses as part of a club or society activity) fall under the control of the Student Union and as such are excluded from this policy.

Volunteers or other individuals who may be asked to drive on University business (for example to support an activity) would normally be deemed to be employees for the duration of the activity or event.

Return to top

3. Associated University Information and Guidance
Separate guidance and handbooks for specific vehicle groups and other safety considerations are listed below. It is essential that you read and abide by the following guidance should your role require you to do so:

Minibus Handbook – this guidance is for anyone who drives a minibus and transports passengers on behalf of the University or Student Union.
Specialist Vehicles – this guidance applies to occupational drivers of vans, grounds maintenance vehicles and agricultural vehicles.
Staff Travel Policy – this policy is applicable to all staff making or intending to make significantly long journeys or require travelling abroad.
Lone working policy – this policy applies to any occupational driver who will be making journeys alone or working on their own.
Trailers & Towing – this policy applies to any occupational driver who drives a vehicle with any form of trailer attached.
Adverse Weather policy – this policy applies to all occupational drivers and staff.

Return to top

4. Legislation and Codes of Practice
The legislation applicable to driving and vehicles reinforcing this policy is derived from the Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended by the 1991 Act; the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986; The Motor Vehicle (Driving Licence) Regulations 1999, as amended and the Road Safety Act 2006.
It should also be borne in mind that health and safety legislation, including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, together with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 1998, apply to all work-related journeys and to vehicles operating in and around the workplace

All of the above acts may be further amended and shall equally apply.

Guidance is given in the ‘Highway Code’, which is deemed the relevant Code of Practice for all occupational drivers.

It is a requirement that anyone driving on University business must drive in accordance with the Highway Code. It should be remembered that sections in the Highway Code that state ‘Must’ or ‘Must Not’ are points of law. It must be remembered that ignorance of the law is never an excuse and occupational drivers are personally responsible for any breach of traffic law.

It is the University’s responsibility to ensure that all legal requirements are met for the vehicle/s to be driven, including both University supplied vehicles and private vehicles used on the University’s business.

Return to top

5. Definitions

Work–related journey
Any other journey you make on behalf of the University, regardless of the frequency or distance or whether it is made in your own vehicle, if permitted, or a vehicle provided by the University is considered a work-related journey.

Your commute from home to your normal place/s of work and back are not considered work-related. The exception to this rule is if you divert from your normal place/s of work to attend an appointment or task after leaving home, this is not considered your normal commute, the whole journey is therefore considered work-related. Similarly, if you leave your normal place/s of work and attend an appointment or task on your way home, the whole journey is considered work-related.

Occupational Driver
Any employee or student that carries out work-related driving for, or on behalf of, the University in a University vehicle.

University Vehicle
Any vehicle that is owned, leased, hired or operated by the University.

Private Vehicle
Any vehicle used by an employee or student for University business which is not owned, leased or hired by the University.

A vehicle that can carry between 9-16 passengers (inclusive) at any one time in addition to the occupational driver.

Return to top

6. Responsibilities
The following sections set out the responsibilities to operate any vehicle or associated equipment safely, legally and comply with this policy.

Return to top

6.1 The Vice Chancellor and University Executive
The Vice-Chancellor, as Chief Executive Officer of the University, has overall responsibility to the University Council for the promotion, administration and implementation of the University's Health and Safety Policy and any associated Policy Standards. The Vice-Chancellor is supported in this day-to-day responsibility by the University Executive, in accordance with the University’s management structure. The Vice-Chancellor and University Executive members require all those with managerial or supervisory responsibilities to exercise sufficient oversight and control to satisfy themselves that due regard is paid to the requirements of the Health and Safety Policy within the areas or for activities under their control or direction.

Return to top

6.2 Line Managers (Including Faculty PVCs, Heads of Academic and Professional Service Departments)
Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellors and Heads of Academic and Professional Service Departments are responsible for implementing suitable arrangements in their Faculties or Departments for the effective management of health and safety, including:

Implementing systems to ensure that:

• Occupational drivers hold the necessary licences, training and qualifications to drive University owned or leased vehicles. Where an occupational driver discloses that their licence has been revoked, suspended or withdrawn for any reason or discloses that they are not medically fit to drive then they must be relieved of their work-related driving duties until further advice has been sought from the University’s Human Resources and Travel and Fleet Departments.
• University owned or leased vehicles managed by individual departments are maintained in a roadworthy condition that complies with relevant statutory requirements. Where vehicles are found or are suspected of not meeting the statutory roadworthiness requirements then these are taken out of use until such times as any defects can be remedied.
• Ensuring that risk assessments for all work-related trips (aligned to the vehicle type, including any specialist equipment attached to or carried in the vehicle) are carried out and control measures are identified and implemented. This could include promoting the use of alternative forms of transport, providing occupational drivers with any necessary training, supervision and equipment, including personal protective equipment, in order to reduce significant risks to a tolerable level.
• Work-related driving risk assessments are monitored and updated as necessary at least on an annual basis.
• Ensuring that the University’s Travel and Fleet Department is notified, in advance, of any proposals to purchase or hire of new vehicles.
• Work schedules are monitored to ensure that safe driving practices are not comprised, for example through excessive working hours that could lead to fatigue or tiredness.
• This policy is communicated and promoted to all members of staff who undertake work-related journeys on behalf of the University, regardless of who owns the vehicle.

In addition, consideration should be given to promoting the use of public transport for work-related driving activities where this is viable.

Return to top

6.3 Travel & Fleet Department
The Travel and Fleet Department will maintain systems, processes and databases (ensuring full compliance with GDPR) to promote safe driving across the Institution. This includes:

• Maintaining the list of University approved occupational drivers, along with the necessary document checks, for example on driving licence and insurance where appropriate.
• Assessment of individual driving needs and experience to provide training in line with the type of vehicle being driven for work purposes and job roles.
• Collect data on collisions, driving offences and near-miss incidents to ensure continuous improvement and review of this policy.
• Managing and progressing insurance claims for University vehicles and any vehicle that has been approved for hire on University business.

Return to top

6.4 Occupational Drivers
Whenever you drive on University business or drive a University owned vehicle you must record details of the journey in the vehicle log book provided. You must not do so under conditions which you or the University deem illegal or unsafe. You will do this by:

• Reading, understanding and adhering to this policy .
• Being familiar with and adhering to any advice, requirement or guidelines contained in the Occupational driver Safety Handbook applicable to your vehicle group.
• Complying with Departmental or Faculty risk assessment and systems relating to work-related driving activities.

• Being responsible and accountable for your own actions when driving.
• Ensuring you are medically fit to drive and meet the vision standards required to drive (or have and use the appropriate corrective appliances). You must notify your Line Manager if there are any changes to your health that may affect your diving and specifically if you suffer any DVLA notifiable medical conditions, or if you are taking any prescribed medication that may affect your driving or ability to operate equipment or machinery safely.
• Holding the appropriate licence, training or other qualification for the vehicle that you will be required to drive. You must bring to the immediate attention of your line manager any information on disqualifications or convictions for driving offences or any suspension or revocation of your licence, for example any endorsed traffic offences or if your driving licence has been has limitations placed on it.
• Ensuring that you are familiar with and confident to drive any vehicle that is about to be used. If in any doubt contact your Line Manager prior to making or continuing any journey. You must be familiar with any vehicle related operational instructions/guides, particularly those associated with driving grounds maintenance or agricultural vehicles and/or associated equipment.

• Ensuring that all vehicles are safe to operate prior to use and, where appropriate, referring to the vehicle’s operation manual or safe operating loads guidelines and any pre journey check lists provided.
• Reporting all and any vehicle defects on University owned or leased vehicles to the Travel & Fleet Team. A journey can only be made if the vehicle is safe and legal to use.
• Have a valid Ministry of Transport (M.O.T.) certificate, where applicable, and the necessary “business use” insurance if you are using a privately owned or leased vehicle for University business.

• Considering the use of public transport or university owned or leased vehicle in preference to using your own vehicle when travelling on University business.
• Planning your journey to allow sufficient time to reach your destination safely and legally, leaving sufficient time for rest breaks on longer journeys. You should consider the weather conditions and other factors that can affect journey time.
• Complying with any statutory requirements placed on you by road safety or other legislation including the wearing of seatbelts, not using handheld mobile phones whilst driving and not smoking in University Vehicles or on any work-related journey.
• Reporting any collisions or near-miss incidents that occur while driving for work to your Line Manager or if relevant the Police or University’s Insurance Officer including those incidents that do not result in damage or injury following the University’s incident reporting procedure at https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/hse/proc-prac/incident-reporting/.

Return to top

7. Additional Guidance

7.1 Use of Own Vehicles

The law states that it is the responsibility of the occupational driver to ensure that any vehicle driven on the public highway is safe and roadworthy. In the case of employees who use their own private vehicle for work business it is their responsibility to ensure that the vehicle has a Road Fund Licence (Tax) and valid MOT certificate (where applicable) and is insured for use on your employer’s business and is properly maintained in a legal and roadworthy condition. To check whether your vehicle has valid Tax and MOT, please visit here.

Drivers should carry out a daily vehicle defect check on their vehicle prior to first use to ensure it is roadworthy. Checklists are available here.

Return to top

7.2 Mobile Telephones and Communication Devices

You are advised to ensure you have a means of summoning assistance while engaged on work- related journeys, this could be either a mobile phone or radio. The following must always be observed:

• You must only make or receive calls as permitted by law – the law states you must be either safely parked with the engine off OR you need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency, and it is unsafe or impractical to stop.
• Use of a mobile telephone or interactive communication device is not permitted whilst driving, for the use of receiving or making of telephone calls, messaging purposes, or accessing applications whilst driving. The only exemption, in which a driver is not in contravention of the regulations relating to use, is whereby the hand-held mobile telephone or interactive communication device is being used to make a contactless payment at a contactless payment terminal whilst the vehicle is stationary.
• Always stop in a safe and convenient place, switch off the vehicle’s engine, to make or receive a phone/radio call. Ensure that you do not inconvenience any other road users by your choice of location to stop.
• You are advised not to engage in any hands-free mobile conversation while driving unless absolutely necessary and must remain in control of your vehicle at all times. The police have the power to stop you if they believe you have been distracted by using a mobile phone while driving, even if it is fully hands-free.

Return to top

7.3 Dangerous Goods

The carriage of dangerous goods as classified by the UNECE Transport of Dangerous Goods Regulations within University vehicles is only allowed with prior agreement from your line manager. A formal risk assessment needs to underpin all such activities.

Return to top

7.4 Alcohol, Drugs & Medication

You MUST NOT under any circumstances drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs, so called
‘legal highs’. The University Drugs & Alcohol policy can be found here.

Any conviction relating to this would be regarded as Gross Misconduct and may lead to dismissal. A conviction for failing to provide a drink/drug specimen to the Police will be considered in accordance with the University Disciplinary Policy and Procedure applicable to all staff.

Important - The Law makes no distinction between illicit drugs or prescribed/over the counter drugs. If unsure, please check with your GP/Medical Practitioner/ pharmacist.

Return to top

7.5 Occupational drivers of Specialised Vehicles

The University has a diverse fleet of vehicles, particularly those driven by Grounds Maintenance, IBERS and Farms.

If your role requires you to drive any specialized vehicle, or operate any associated equipment, those other than a standard car or small van, you must seek advice from your Line Manager and follow any training or familiarization processes that is in place.

Return to top

7.6 Minibus Drivers

A high level of competence and consideration is required to drive a minibus, as:
• The vehicle can be larger and/or heavier (requires greater stopping distances);
• More passengers than normal can be carried, which may lead to increased stress on the driver i.e., extra responsibility, noise and distraction
• Minibuses tend to be used for long distances and on an infrequent basis.

The legal requirement with regard to qualifications is that occupational drivers who obtained their full driving licence before the 1 January 1997 may drive a minibus in the UK. Those who have obtained their licence on or after the 1 January 1997 are only licensed to drive a vehicle with up to 8 passengers. To drive a minibus, occupational drivers may need to gain a category D1 driving licence entitlement on their licence. Further comprehensive details can be found in the Minibus Handbook or via this link.

Return to top

7.7 Towing Trailers

Towing and use of trailers is demanding and should only be carried out by competent, experienced and where applicable undertake training. Drivers must have the correct driving licence entitlement category, be knowledgeable of the risks, requirements and restrictions in place on what permissible loads can/cannot be carried or towed. If a trailer has any fixed equipment, drivers must be trained in how to operate the equipment.

All loads must always be secure before and during transit. Loads should be checked periodically during a journey, particularly on long journeys, travelling on an uneven terrain or when carrying irregular loads. Load type and load security also applies to any load carried by a vehicle. A daily trailer defect check must be carried out prior to first use. When a load is added, removed or amended to a vehicle or trailer it must be secure.

However short the journey or even when manuevering at a destination the vehicle or trailer load must be secure at all times.
Further information on towing trailers and load securing can be found at:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance/load-securing- vehicle-operator-guidance

Return to top

7.8 Fines, Tolls and Charges

• Employees whilst parking a vehicle, must ensure that the vehicle is parked legally in an appropriate and safe place. Vehicles must not be allowed to cause any obstruction of the Highway (this includes any footpath unless signs indicate to the contrary).

• Reimbursement for any tolls or parking charges can be made in line with the University expenses policy. This does not include any fines relating to parking illegally, congestion charge, low emission zones (LEZ), or contravention of any car park or toll terms/rules.

• Some toll charges are collected via automated number plate recognition, it is the driver’s responsibility to either pre-pay the charges with the correct registration number plate details before the journey or pay the toll within the required time limit after the journey. This can be done through prior arrangement with their line manager via a university cost centre or paid by the driver and claimed back via the university’s expenses policy.

Return to top

7.9 Speeding Offences and Roadside Incidents

• All speeding offences (regardless of a speed awareness course being undertaken), pending convictions relating to driving or anything that may affect a driver’s ability to drive, must notify their line manager in a reasonably and timely manner. Any fines, appeals and associated costs, rehabilitation courses (speed or seat belt awareness course etc.) relating offences committed, whilst driving a university vehicle or on behalf of the University are liable to the driver and will not be paid by the University.
• Should a driver be stopped by the Police or the DVSA, relating to an offence or potential offence, whilst driving on behalf of the University or in a university vehicle. Drivers are expected to notify their line managers when safe and reasonable to do so. In the event of a vehicle being deemed unroadworthy, the driver is responsible for notifying their line manager. The line manager is then responsible for making arrangements, for the vehicle to be repaired roadside or recovering the vehicle to a local garage where necessary.

Return to top

8. Risk Assessments
Risk assessments for any work-related driving activity should follow the same principles as those for any other work activity as outlined in the University Risk Assessment guidance.

Please see driving risk assessments here. 

For journeys or driving activities that present additional risks a more detailed assessment should be completed and recorded. Examples of where this would be appropriate include: 

• non-routine long distance journeys or trips that include driving overseas.
• driving that is expected to take place in severe weather conditions.
• journeys that involve lone working in remote or potentially dangerous areas.
• trips that involve driving types of vehicles that are not normally driven or where the occupational driver may be inexperienced or have a poor accident record.
• the transport of dangerous goods or animals.
• the transporting of large numbers of passengers for example in a minibus.

Return to top

9. Review

This policy will be reviewed on a regular basis no less than every two years. 

Return to top

Driving Risk Assessment

Authorised Drivers


The Travel and Fleet department maintain a list of all authorised drivers as well as copies of all applications. It is also the responsibility of individual departments to keep an updated list of application forms of all the authorised drivers within their respective departments.

Prior to a university member either driving a university vehicle or hire car, they must submit an application to their department administrators or to the travel and fleet department at travel@aber.ac.uk.

Applications must be authorised by the head of department, the head of department may delegate this procedure to another staff member by informing the Travel and Fleet department.


Important Documents:

The form required to become an authorised driver can be downloaded from the link below:

Application Form for University vehicles

If you also wish to apply for Grey Fleet Driver status (use of personal vehicle), please download the form in the link below:

Combined Driver Form


Vehicle Categories:

When applying to become an authorised driver, please make sure that all categories selected are those required by your post. Explanations of all categories are detailed below:

Car/4x4/Car-derived Van

Use of either a University car or a hired car to conduct university business. To be eligible to drive a car, a driver must have at least 2 years of driving experience.

Van/Light commercial vehicle

This includes any vehicle that is used primarily for the transportation of goods both on campus and off campus.

Agricultural Vehicles

The use of agricultural or horticultural vehicles such as tractors, combine harvesters and seed planters.

Quad bike/Specialist vehicles

The use of quad bikes or specialist vehicle that do not typically fall under an agricultural vehicle, such as a ride-on mower.


The use of a University or hired minibus to transport University members in accordance with the University section 19 permits and not for ‘hire and reward’.


This category refers to vehicles that do not fall within the other categories and hence would require further review prior to approval. Examples include Heavy goods vehicles, buses/coaches and forklifts.


Personal use of University owned or hired vehicles:

As an authorised driver, the University motor insurance policy applies to you when you are driving for the purpose of university business. Any other use, including personal use of University vehicles invalidates this cover.

While University vehicles should be kept on campus when not in use, there is only one exemption to this rule. If you need to take a vehicle home in order to set off early the next morning for a meeting located away from your normal place of work without the need to pick up the vehicle from campus, this is permitted and must be recorded within your department. 

Any personal use of university vehicles would result in the HMRC deeming the use of the vehicle as a ‘Benefit in Kind’. The resulting effects would be that your tax code/amount would be adjusted to reflect this use and you would be required to send a tax return to the HMRC detailing the personal use.

Permitted passengers:

Only University members or visitors on University business are permitted to be carried within University owned or hired vehicles, unless special permission has been given by the Travel and Fleet department.

Unfortunately the University cannot allow children or pets to be passengers in University vehicles due to the level of risk associated with these passengers groups and additional legislation (Rule 57 & 99 to 102) that must be adhered to.

Use of personal vehicles


If you’re planning on using your own vehicle to conduct University business or to transport staff or students, please be aware that the University insurance cover does not extend to staff using their own vehicles.

In order to ensure that the university has carried out its duty of care, you must apply to be registered as a grey fleet driver by completing the relevant application form provided below. Please note that the form will need to be authorised with a line manager’s signature.

Grey Fleet Application Form

The types of journeys that are included under the term ‘business use’ are listed below:

  • Journeys forming part of an employee’s employment duties, for example, journeys between appointments by a service engineer.
  • Journeys related to an employee’s attendance at a temporary workplace.
  • ‘Merely incidental’ journeys i.e., where a vehicle is taken home in the evening in order to attend a meeting requiring an early morning start.
  • Any other use is considered private use.

For information regarding management of occupational road risks and grey fleet management, please see the links below provided by our insurers:

Managing Occupational Road Risks (MORR)

Grey Fleet Management


Refusal/failure to provide the information procedures:

Should a staff member refuse/fail to provide the requested information, they will be contacted to confirm that they are no longer permitted to use their personal vehicles on University business unless they can provide the requested information within two working days.

If the information is still missing after the two day period, a follow-up email will be sent to both the staff member and their Head of Department to inform the Head of Department that the staff member must not be allowed to travel on University business using their personal vehicle.

During this time, any submitted mileage claims for the staff member will be rejected until the information has been provided.


Alternatives to using your personal vehicle:

There are numerous alternatives to using a personal vehicle on University business, please see below:

Type of transport:

Suitable for:


Pool Cars

Short-range or one-day journeys

Limited availability

Hire Cars

Long-range or multiple-day journeys

Cost and availability

Public transportation (Buses)

Short-range/campus-to-campus journeys

Set routes and times, potentially not suitable for journeys with specific needs or during unsocial hours.

Public transportation (Trains)

Long-range journeys/European travel

Set transportation routes, may require additional travel to reach required destination.

Public transportation (Coaches)

Long-range journeys

Set transportation routes, may require additional travel to reach required destination.


Alternative to public transportation

Only to be used in accordance to section 2.4.2 and 10.4 of the University travel procedures.

The relevant webpages for hire cars and pool cars can be found above in the first two sections of the Fleet webpage. For information regarding booking trains, please contact the Travel and Fleet team. Timetables for local buses between campuses are available via the links below:

Penglais to Llanbadarn



Aberystwyth town centre to Gogerddan




Over the course of implementing changes with the way the University permits staff to use their own vehicles and claim mileage, we have had a small number of concerns raised. As a result we have included these concerns below and our responses in turn, please see below:

Q: Why must I provide the last 8 digits of my licence and a DVLA check code?

A: It was determined that driver’s licence cards no longer show the current validity of a licence, as such the University has engaged with the online licence check service offered by the DVLA. This allows us to see the full and current validity of a driving licence, including full/provisional endorsements and the status of any points on a licence.


Q: Why must I have business use insurance to drive on University business and claim mileage? Can’t the University offer staff a ‘blanket’ coverage for staff driving our own vehicles?

A: While driving on University business in your personal vehicle, should an incident occur and your insurers find out that the purpose of the journey was work related, they may reject your claim. This would leave staff to pay out the damages from their personal funds. As with many Welsh Universities we cannot offer a blanket coverage for all employees at this moment.


Q: If I have to acquire class 1 ‘business use’ insurance, will the University reimburse me?

A: When claiming business mileage from the University, the rate of £0.45 per mile was determined to contribute to all costs in relation to staff using their vehicles on University business, not just towards the cost of fuel.

Penalty Charges & Parking Fines


University members are responsible for paying any fines imposed on them for motoring offenses, which they have committed whilst in the possession of a University or hire car. The processes for paying for any charges/fines are detailed below, should any fines be left unpaid, the responsible member will be subject to the rules of Conduct in Employment.

Traffic Violation Procedures:

Parking fines/Penalty charges are received by the Travel and Fleet department. Once received the Travel and Fleet team will locate the University member responsible for the charge and inform them that they are liable to pay for this. The member responsible will be offered a chance to appeal via our appeal form, available to download from the following link:

Appeal form for parking fines

Initially the Travel and Fleet team will contact the responsible member to acquire a work order from their department so that the University can initially pay the invoice to keep the amount at a reduced level. An invoice will then be sent to the member liable to pay the charge so that they can reimburse their department.

To pay the invoice, either follow the instructions on the bottom of the invoice, or bring the invoice to the Cash & Fees office with an appropriate method of payment.

Speeding Fines:

Speeding fines are treated differently than other motoring charges. The Travel and Fleet department will inform the responsible staff member upon receipt of the fine. The responsible staff member will be required to provide details of their driver’s license as well as sign the penalty charge notice.

It is then the responsibility of the liable University member to pay the incurred fine.

AU Vehicles

Procuring Lease or Fleet Vehicles:

To enquire about procuring a new lease vehicle, extending an existing lease vehicle and procuring a new fleet vehicle, please contact the Travel and Fleet team via the contact details below:

E-mail Address travel@aber.ac.uk 
Telephone Number 01970 621623 

Upon contact, we will work with both the procurement team and the requesting department to proceed with the acquisition of the new vehicle/contract.


Disposal of Vehicles:


Should your department be looking to dispose of a vehicle, you must first contact the travel and fleet department at travel@aber.ac.uk so that we can identify whether the vehicle is a viable asset. It is policy for viable functioning assets to be redeployed within the university, wherever practicable.

Any viable asset being disposed of should be recorded on the Warp-it platform for a maximum of 6 months prior to the assets being advertised for sale. The Warp-it platform can be accessed via the following link:

Warp-It - Currently unavailable

Should a viable asset be recorded for redeployment, it will be redeployed on a first come first serve basis and must be approved by completion of the Fixed Asset Disposal Form. This form can be accessed via the link below:

Ffurflen Gwaredu Asedu Sefydlog / Fixed Asset Disposal Form


If redeployment of a viable asset not be possible, the asset must then be advertised for sale or disposal, subject to appropriate authorisation as noted in the authorisation matrix below:

Authorisations Required Value at acquisition: Fixtures, fittings, Plant, Machinery and Equipment
Head of Department >£0 
Accountable Budget Controller >£5,000
Vice Chancellor and Exec >£50,000
Council >250,000

The preferred options for the disposal of a vehicle are as follows:

  • Via advertisement in a trade or other relevant journal with an invitation to bid using the form found via the following link: (Link here)
  • Via an internet auction site.

In some cases it may be possible to use an alternative method, this must be discussed with the Travel and Fleet department prior to use of an alternate method.

When receiving bids for a vehicle valued over £5,000, at least two bids should be obtained before announcing a winning bidder. Should there only be one bid or a part exchange offer, you must also obtain an independent valuer report.

Booking Fleet Cars

The University possesses a number of vehicles available to staff members for travelling on university business. As the preferable option when compared to hiring a vehicle externally, you must seek to use a University pool vehicle as opposed to an external hire company. The University now have a small central pool of vehicles that can be booked by any University authorised driver for travel on University business. If you wish to book one of our vehicles, please complete the booking form below:

Pool Car Booking Form

Please bear in mind, that if you are travelling outside of the country, fleet vehicles cannot be booked for airport transport or for travelling outside the UK.

Due to the claims procedures of WEFO and our vehicle re-charging method, we advise all drivers for WEFO based projects to hire a vehicle through our external suppliers, Days Rental. More information on hiring a vehicle can be found on the 'Booking Hire Cars' section of these webpages.

Booking Hire Cars


The University has a number of vehicles that are available for short term business use, these vehicle range between cars, vans and minibuses.

If you require a vehicle for business travel, you must determine if there is a suitable AU car available prior to contacting our approved external supplier.

For more information on the booking of AU vehicles, including contact details for their custodians, please see the ‘booking fleet cars’ tab further down this page.

Should there be no AU vehicle available to meet your needs, then you should proceed to book an external vehicle from our approved supplier; Days Rental.


Hiring a Vehicle:

Please note that a requisition will need to be raised and approved prior to ordering a hire vehicle, the purchase order created is required when placing your order.

The contact details for our contracted supplier and the information required by them is as follows:

Days Rental Booking Information


Collection Procedures:

Upon receiving a hire vehicle, you must adhere to the rules of the hire car company being used. However as a member of the university, you must also adopt the following principles during your use of the hire vehicle:

  • Upon receiving the vehicle, you must check/photograph the vehicle before signing for receipt of the vehicle.
  • You must also follow the same process when returning and signing off on the vehicle.
  • If you discover any damage upon receiving the vehicle, you must inform the hire car company immediately so that they are made aware that the university is not liable to pay for the repairs.
  • It is preferred that vehicles are to be collected/returned when there is a hire car company staff member present to check the vehicle and sign for the keys.
  • Should this not be possible, you must use the collection and drop off service. Please liaise with staff in the Porters Lodge and they will direct you to the nearest secure parking bay. Keys must be left with the security staff in the Porters Lodge.


Damage Claims:

In the event that a car hire company makes a claim for damages, staff will have an opportunity to dispute the claim, providing they have as much evidence as possible. The general dispute form is used in this situation and is available via the following link:

Damage Dispute Form

Should a dispute occur, please complete the dispute form and forward it to the relevant email contact as stated on the original damage claim. Please also make sure that travel@aber.ac.uk is copied in for correspondence.

Should the procedures listed above not be adhered to and photographic evidence not taken, it is likely that the hire car company will reject the dispute. As such the department or in some cases the individual responsible, will be liable for the cost of the claim.

Breakdown Cover

All leased University vehicles are covered for breakdown under the SMR agreements under our contract with the lease companies. Should you require roadside assistance or have broken down please either contact the Travel and Fleet department or the leasing company directly if the relevant contact details are present in the car.

For University owned vehicles, our Breakdown cover provider is FTA Recovery, the contact details and information relevant to the cover should be found within each University owned vehicle. Should there be no information in the vehicle, please contact the travel and fleet team to request new information to be placed within the vehicles.

Road Traffic Accidents

Motor Accidents Procedures:

Although it can be terrifying and stressful ordeal, it is important to remain calm and level headed in the event of a car accident. Should you be involved in an accident, the following steps should be followed at the scene as you are able:

  • If there are injured parties or the road is obstructed, please call the emergency services on 999 immediately.
  • If possible, please exchange information with the drivers of other vehicle involved. This information should include:
    • Name
    • Address
    • Phone number
    • License plate number
    • Insurance information (Company name, policy number and phone number)
    • The University information can be found either in the vehicle or by emailing the Travel and Fleet team.
  • Gather the contact information of any witnesses to the accident, to reinforce any insurance claims that follow.
  • Should there be an investigating police officer at the scene, please obtain the officers name and badge number, to obtain their official report at a later date.
  • When communicating with involved parties, stick with the facts. Do not admit you were at fault or try to obtain an admission of fault from other involved parties. The decision of whom the fault lies with, belongs to either the police or with our insurers.
  • Should you have a device with a camera, please take a picture of both the scene and any visible damages.

After the accident has taken place, please contact the Travel and Fleet department at your earliest convenience on the following contact details:

E-mail Address travel@aber.ac.uk 
Telephone Number 01970 621623 


Insurance Claims:

In regards to making an insurance claim related to a road traffic accident, please notify both your departmental administrator and the Travel and Fleet department on 01970 621623, or email travel@aber.ac.uk.

ERS Motor Accident Claim Form


Minibus Usage:

Due to recent changes in legislation, the University has had to review the procedures and policies in place regarding the use of minibuses on University business. As you may be aware, the University uses minibuses for a variety of purposes, such as transportation of students and staff on ‘University business’. As a result of this, the University has moved to acquire a number of section 19 permits.

Section 19 permits are available to the University on the grounds that; the University is a charitable educational organisation that operates without the ‘view to profit’. The purpose of these permits is to benefit the university in the following ways:

  • Allows staff members to drive students on fieldtrips as part of their contracted hours whilst minimising the risk of such trips being interpreted as for ‘Hire and reward’.
  • Allows the university some leeway in terms of providing minibuses to service other extracurricular activities, such as attendance at national competitions or conferences.
  • Assists in seeking to give ‘comfort’ for drivers with minibus privileges whether they have automatic or conditional D1 Entitlement on their category B license.

If you would like more information on how the permits affect minibus use, please either contact the travel and Fleet department via the following details or follow the link below:

E-mail Address: travel@Aber.ac.uk
Telephone Number: 01970 621623 

Section 19 and 22 Permits


Transport of persons other than staff/students:

There were a number of concerns raised regarding the provision of transport during events, including graduation and open day. These concerns were based around whether the university was allowed to transport student’s families during these events.

While under normal circumstances, the transportation of the public is prohibited by the permit. This is however not the case during these events as the family members attending these events with the potential or current students are classed as ‘Persons whom the body exists to benefit and persons assisting them’. This has been confirmed with the traffic commissioner as acceptable use of minibuses under this permit.


Use of minibuses for Student recruitment:

As the University is a registered charitable educational organisation, we operate without the ‘view to profit’. For student recruitment, this means that any additional income raised by the acquisition will not be viewed as ‘profiting’. That income would be reinvested into the university and the services we offer to the students we exist to benefit.

As such any use of the minibuses for the purpose of attending student recruitment event is allowed.


Use of minibuses for Student recruitment:

In order to drive a minibus, you are required to have D1 entitlement on your license. For licenses issued prior to 1997, you will have automatic D1 entitlement on your license and are legally allowed to drive a minibus.

For Licenses acquired after 1997, it is likely that your license will not have D1 entitlement unless you have undertaken training and gained the qualification manually.

Procurement and disposal of University vehicles

Procuring Lease or Fleet Vehicles:

To enquire about procuring a new lease vehicle, extending an existing lease vehicle and procuring a new fleet vehicle, please contact the Travel and Fleet team via the contact details below:

E-mail Address


Telephone Number

01970 621623 

Upon contact, we will work with both the procurement team and the requesting department to proceed with the acquisition of the new vehicle/contract.

Once a vehicle has been procured, please complete the vehicle registration form below and submit it to the Travel and Fleet team:

Form for new vehicles

Fuel Cards

For information on University fuel cards, please see the University fuel card procedures below:

Fuel Card Procedures

If you have any queries on fuel cards, please email the Travel and Fleet team.