Relocation Policy & Guide

Policy Statement 
Application and approval process
Level and type of Relocation Expenses which can be claimed 
Repayment for Relocation Expenses 
Variation to the policy 
Relocation Guide
Relocation Expenses Form

Policy Statement 

Employees are required to live within normal daily travelling distance of the University (20 miles) except with the express permission of the Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development. The University will support new employees to relocate to the area, recognising the practical and financial challenges associated with relocation.

This Policy;

  • sets out the criteria and conditions which apply to new employees who wish to make a claim for relocation expenses;
  • ensures that financial assistance is applied in a consistent manner;
  • provides assistance to staff who relocate in order to take up an appointment with the University;
  • provides assistance to all eligible staff in a consistent manner;
  • provides advice and guidance to all involved in the process. 


  • This assistance may be available to new employees who are moving to within daily travelling distance (20 miles) of the place of work (except with the express permission of the Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development).
  • The move must be made within 12 months of the start date of employment with the University.
  • Claims must be made before the end of the tax year after the one in which the move took place.
  • Where more than one member of the household is appointed to the University, only one claim for reimbursement (up to the maximum of £2,000) will be accepted. In exceptional circumstances the Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development may approve the reimbursement of additional costs up to the current exempted level. Please refer to HMRC guidance. This will be agreed at the point in which the offer of appointment is made and included in the employee’s contract of employment.
  • Claims cannot be made in advance of the date on which the appointment commences and no advances will be made.
  • Relocation costs for externally funded posts must be coded and claimed from the source grant. Where the grant does not covert this cost, relocation expenses may not be claimed.

Application and approval process

New employees who meet the above criteria and wish to claim relocation expenses should submit the following documentation for each claim to the Human Resources department:

  • a standard claim form for the reimbursement of relocation expenses within twelve months of the commencement of employment;
  • the agreed number of quotations (see paragraph 9)
  • receipts for all expenses incurred, in the name of the employee, which show the company number/VAT number where available. 

Level and type of Relocation Expenses which can be claimed 

The maximum amount that may be reimbursed is £2,000. This figure will be reviewed as required by the University Executive. The Relocation Expenses Policy covers the reimbursement of the following expenses:

  • the employee’s sale of their existing place of residence;
  • the costs associated with the employee’s purchase of a new residence in line with Point 2 above;
  • transporting the employee’s belongings to the new residence. Please note that 3 competitive tenders should be obtained in writing and submitted with the claim;
  • associated travel costs for you and your family
  • bridging loans. 

The Relocation Expenses Policy does not cover the following expenses:

  • utility bills e.g. electricity, water, gas, Council Tax;
  • deposits on rented accommodation (due to the fact that this will be reimbursed directly to the tenant at the end of the tenancy agreement);
  • re-direction of mail;
  • subsistence costs except where breakfast is booked as part of B&B arrangements;
  • travel expenses to and from the appointee’s existing place of residence to Aberystwyth University once the appointee’s employment has commenced;
  • domestic goods for the new premises.

Please refer to the ‘Guidance Notes for Claiming Relocation Expenses’ for further information relating to which expenses may be claimed in accordance with the University’s Relocation Expenses Policy. However, please note that this is not an exhaustive list and that where an individual is unclear as to whether an item may be claimed, guidance should be sought from the Human Resources department prior to committing to the expenditure.

Employees claiming relocation expenses must declare that no other relocation expenses have been, or could be claimed, by the member of staff concerned or some other person in respect of the relocation. 

Repayment for Relocation Expenses 

If either the member of staff or the University terminates the employee’s contract of employment or the contract ends, within a three year period, a repayment schedule of 1/36th per incomplete month will be applied in relation to relocation expenses already paid.
Please note that prior to the employment ending, agreement between the employee and the University must be reached in relation to how any monies owed will be repaid.

Variation to the policy 

The Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development has the authority to vary arrangements for relocation expenses in exceptional circumstances.

Guidance Notes for Claiming Relocation Expenses

Type of cost

Costs that can be claimed

Costs that cannot be claimed

Costs relating to the sale of the existing place of residence 


Legal/estate agent fees


Disconnecting gas, water etc.



Costs associated with the purchase of a new residence

Legal fees and services

Surveys and valuations

Land Registry fees

Relocation management administration fees

Connecting gas, water etc.


Stamp duty

Utility bills

Council tax

Re-direction of mail

Costs associated with transporting belongings to the new residence (Please note that 3 competitive tenders should be obtained in writing and submitted with the claim)



Packing and unpacking

Temporary storage

Transportation costs

Insurance in transit


Expenses associated with the relocation of family pets -Costs from more than one location


Travel and subsistence costs


Travelling from the old home to the new home when the move takes place (Mileage / second class air fare / standard rail fare / basic boat fare)  

Preliminary visits to the new location (maximum 2 visits) 

Costs of food and drink(except breakfast where B&B is booked) -Bonds required for rent/rent deposits

Deposits on rented accommodation

Travel expenses to and from the appointee’s existing place of residence to Aberystwyth University once the appointee’s employment has commenced

Any visa costs associated with appointment

Domestic goods for the new premises

None reimbursed


Bridging loans

For these to count as qualifying expenses or benefits, all of the following conditions must apply:

The employee (and/or members of their family) sells their old home and buys a new one for one of the employment-related reasons outlined in the HMRC guidelines. 



The employee needs a loan to bridge the gap between buying the new house and getting the money from the sale of the old one.

The loan is used only to buy the new house or pay off loans relating to the old home.

The loan isn't for more than the market value of the old home (at the time the new home is bought).




Policy Review

Human Resources will co-ordinate a review of this policy in order to maintain compliance with legislation and good practice. The review will be undertaken in liaison with the recognised trade unions and any proposed amendments will be submitted to the appropriate relevant committee, University Executive and Council if required.

Version 1.1

Last Reviewed: August 2022

Review Date: August 2025