Tier 5 and Research Visas

What is a Tier 5 visa?

The most common Tier 5 visa applicable for work at Aberystwyth University is the Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (TW-GAE), for more information on any of the other Tier 5 visas please visit the UKVI website.

Aberystwyth University jobs that are the most applicable to this visa route: Sponsored researchers and visiting academics.

Tier 5 (TW-GAE) visa holders must not be filling a genuine vacancy.
Funding can come from any source as long as it is not the individual themselves.

Positions must be PHD level or above to enable a Tier 5 migrant to fill it.

Tier 5 visa holders are permitted to collaborate on university-hosted  research as long as the individual is not filling an advertised position and the work is above the university's normal requirements. 

Tier 5 visa holders can be employed and paid by; the university, an overseas institution or from a grant.

What you can and cannot do on a Tier 5 (TW-GAE)?

Some forms of study

Work in the job stated in your Certificate of Sponsorship, permanent jobs are not permitted.

Take a second job for up to 20 hours per week. You MUST check with Aberystwyth University's HR department prior to accepting another position.