What will I gain from my subject?
As well as your practice-based skills and the acquisition of knowledge your degree will equip you with a range of transferable skills that are highly valued by employers. Transferable skills include problem solving, self-management, communication and teamwork. Your transferable skills and the level of intellectual attainment gained through study of your subject mean that you will have many different career options when you graduate. A high percentage of all graduate vacancies are open to graduates of any discipline yet many students are not aware of this or they are influenced by the myths surrounding the choices open to them.
What can I do with my subject?
Your degree prepares you for a wide variety of career paths. Graduates have developed careers both within and outside Information Studies.
There are a great many possibilities open to graduates, probably more than you realise at first. Sometimes, the hardest task facing finalists and new graduates is deciding how to choose from the many options available to you. There are jobs which are directly related to degree disciplines, jobs where particular subjects may be useful and also a whole range of jobs open to graduates of any discipline.
What help is available?
You have a dedicated links Careers Consultant who works closely with your department to provide support, advice and information. Careers workshops and events are held in your department to promote work experience opportunities, support career planning and network with professionals working in the creative industries. A central careers education programme is also delivered and postgraduates have access to the Postgraduate Skills Training programme. You are welcome to drop into the Careers Service for further support and information anytime
Where do I start looking for work experience and graduate jobs? - Useful resources
The links below are a starting point when seeking opportunities directly related to your subject; more general resources are available in our finding work experience section. Don't forget that support is available from the Careers Service when applying for jobs and work experience.
- LisJobNet (CILIP)
- Society of Archivists - information on work experience
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
- National Museum Jobs - vacancies in the UK's national museums, galleries, libraries and archives
- Smithsonian Institution - internship opportunities
Professional bodies and associations
These organisations promote the interests of people working in particular professions. Some have listings of employers who are members of the association and may advertise jobs while others may be a useful source of information when researching employers for applications or considering a speculative application.
- Aslib, the Association for Information Management
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP)
- British and Irish Association of Law Librarians (BIALL)
- Records Management Society of Great Britain
- Society of Archivists
What do Aber graduates do?
Below are some examples of roles our Graduates have moved into:
- Accounts Trainee
- Acquisitions Librarian
- Acting Library Manager
- Administrative Officer
- Assistant Records Manager
- Branch Librarian
- Children's Librarian
- Collections Access Officer
- Community Development Librarian
- Development Officer
- Digital Systems Support Librarian
- E-Resources and Communications Librarian
- Head of IT Department
- Information Centre Manager
- Information Manager
- Intranet Editor
- Knowledge Management Officer
- Learning Resource Centre Manager
- Logistics Support Administrator
- Metadata Librarian
- Record Analyst
- Records Manager
- Repository Support Officer
- Resources Assistant
- School Librarian
- Subject Librarian
- Visitor Services Manager
Examples of employers that Aberystwyth information studies graduates and postgraduates have gone to work for:
- Britis Museum
- British Records Department
- Central Bank of Malta
- Cheshire & Chester Archive
- Devon Records Office
- HM Revenue and Customs
- International Baccalaureate Organization
- Ministry of Defence
- Museums Galleries Scotland
- National Library of Wales
- National Trust
- Royal Opera House
- Various HE Establishments
- Various Local Authorities
- Various Libraries
- Various Schools
- Various Universities